Any advantage on newer HPOP and turbo?

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
HPOP, Yes! Worth a few more ponies and idle is quiter.

Turbo, no so much. OBS trucks have the Better compressor wheel. SD turbos are westegated too.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
HPOP, Yes! Worth a few more ponies and idle is quiter.

Turbo, no so much. OBS trucks have the Better compressor wheel. SD turbos are westegated too.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I love the "knocky" idle. There's a few psd's in a pull a part about an hour away. What all is needed to pull one off? Any mods needed for it to work on my 96?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
HPOP= High Pressure Oil Pump, it is used to fire the HEUI injectors in a powerstroke.
Basically they took a simple engine design and made it complicated.
Wouldn't the wastegated turbo spool quicker and in theory give you more grunt off the line?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are advantages to both.

if youre gonna run a SD hpop make sure you find the "******" cover pump with the 17* swash plate.look at the rear of the pump if the cover inside it doesnt have a bulge in it,dont waste your time or money.the nonhumped pump is the same as your stocker.

the 99-03 turbo will be an upgrade for you.toss a stock 94.5-97 compressor wheel in it and itll be fine.itll handle a few more PSI than your stocker without blowin the bushing out of it.IIRC the SD turbo is a ball bearing turbo where ours have a bushing.the stock turbo doesnt like more than around 26PSI where mine has seen 36PSI daily wich is why im on turbo #4.make sure you get the up pipes,collector,pedistal,spider,intercooler p[ipes and intercooler if you can afford it.dont need the spider,tubes and intercooler but might as well grab them.not sure if the stock intake spider will work on the sd turbo or not.not sure if the exhaust manifolds are different or not either but something tells me one of them is different than the 94.5-97.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
What all do u have left off of yours? As far as cheap helpful mods? I know your parting it out and I'd be interested in buying as much as I can afford Which ain't much right now lol

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the SD turbo has plain bearings not ball bearings, i was just inside one but i dont remeber for sure:dunno

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
The SD turbo and OBS turbos have the same bearings. Some the aftermarket turbos have BB's

93f250idi how much HP do you want to put down the the Rear Wheels?

You will get a quick spool with a smaller turbo. The OBS turbo is a 1.15 and that a good size for stage ones. The van turbo with it's smaller turbine of 1.00 will move the truck of the line real quick like. Also with SD turbo the wastegate that tends to leak of a high HPs so a bigger head os needed then.

In mid 97 I think was when the changed the exhaust manifolds. The newer style flows better.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
The SD turbo and OBS turbos have the same bearings. Some the aftermarket turbos have BB's

93f250idi how much HP do you want to put down the the Rear Wheels?

You will get a quick spool with a smaller turbo. The OBS turbo is a 1.15 and that a good size for stage ones. The van turbo with it's smaller turbine of 1.00 will move the truck of the line real quick like. Also with SD turbo the wastegate that tends to leak of a high HPs so a bigger head os needed then.

In mid 97 I think was when the changed the exhaust manifolds. The newer style flows better.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if thats the kind of power youre looking for,you need my truck.its acheivable but gonna take some money to get there.with stock injectors the most you will get is about an extra 75HP.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I can't afford another truck right now unless it's like $1000 bucks or something. What all is done to your truck as far as cheap mods go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online