Antifreeze in oil

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just heard from Blackstone and he said that I have a trace of antifreeze in the oil sample, He said change the oil and filter and run for 2500 and sample for new results. Is the heads and oil cooler the only two places this can happen. Let me know all sources that can contribute to this anomaly.

Thanks

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
those are the only ones i know of except if there is a crack in the head or block......sorry to hear the news.

a pressure testor for the coolent system can help you narrow it down.

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I will check it. do a pressure test on the coolent
I would post the e-mail results of the Blackstone report but I don't know how.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
to post your results save the report on your computer. then whe you are posting scroll down to the manage attachments tab. a window will open and you can upload that file from there.

i had a similer issue with my old 85 diesel, i have since sold the truck informing my brother in law of the problem and oil report. it was using coolent but has since stopped doing so since he bought it. :confused: i have no idea maybe the truck likes him better than me.LOL i did do a compression and coolent check and test and i could find no problem so i am assuming it was the oil cooler. maybe some dirt in the system plugged the hole........

if you have some test stripes they give you a ph reading that could indicate if the heads are leaking somewhere. a leaking oil cooler shouldent change your ph.

Attachments

• oil.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cavitation can cause it too. Remember, the oil is under presure when the engine is running, so water in the oil only happens after shut down. I sure hope it's not the big C. :eek:

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, I hope it is not the big C, I have kept SCA's up to *****, changed oil and Antifreeze per schedule and never drove the tar out of it. I will change the oil and filter and try to run it for 1500 to 2000 miles and sample the oil again and see what happens and hope it goes away LOL

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's actually a few other places where antifreeze can get into the oil.

One is obviously at the front of the engine where the water pump bolts onto the front plate. There are wimpy gaskets that go on behind the front plate, and separate coolant and oil passages(where the timing gears are) on the front of the engine. The front plate then goes on, and then the water pump gasket, and then the water pump bolts on, and the bolts for the water pump hold the whole thing together and in place. If you change the water pump, and have to pry the old one off at all, you could compromise the gaskets behind the front plate, and get a leak.(The oil is not under pressure in this location, but the coolant is!)..Pic of area here..

Another spot is the little tiny water passages that exist(part of the casting process) between each of the intake holes in the heads. When you put the valley pan on(intake gasket) the holes should be sealed by the gasket, but since it is only made of tin, it rusts, and can become pitted and lose it's seal. I've seen coolant collect on the pan, and I've seen it leak down behind the pan into the valley and onto the lifters, and then into the oil. (Also, coolant under pressure here, oil is not)
..Pic here..

Just some other things to think about...

Zigg :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points Zigg. I did forget about those, but you have to admit on a running engine that hasn't been touched, the chances of those points leaking are not that good. There would probably be a remote chance of a headgasket leaking to an oil drain back hole, but the odds would be staggering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin