Another "contraption" on CL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There isn't a F450 car carrier on the road that doesn't have a stretched frame. There is no worry in doing so as far as trucks are concerned.

That's good to know. I've been threatening to get a sit in sleeper to pop in behind my crew cab and stretch the frame, but so far Wife.gov has vetoed the idea. With one of those the young.uns could take turns napping on long runs and I could have a nice little nap spot for solo runs.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
85 Hauler - what is the sleeper and roof made out of and how is it attached?

I really want to add something like that to one of my CC

It is all steel and welded into the cab. They basically cut the back wall and part of the cab roof out. Then built the sleeper frame from square tube then covered it with sheet metal. The sleeper has a flat floor in it. there is plenty of room in it.

I've considered cutting out the 2 door cab and stretching the frame again. Then putting a 4 door cab into it. So it would be a Crewcab with a 55" sleeper. Now that would be a Loooooooooooooong truck. 24 foot with approx 225" wb

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
you do NOT want to box the frame.You want it to flex.If you box it,there is a good chance it will Rip not crack.Box is fine for a lil hotrod but not for a long truck.That is why all commercial rigs are C channel.You can double or Tripple frame it fine.But boxing would be a big no no.Think of it like a bridge or in the wooden Rollercoaster world.If it doesn't flex it is going to break.That is why when you see Roller Coasters flexing the moving all around and same with long bridges.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you freight...good call/comment.
85hauler, in my ideal world that is what I would build....along with a 10' bed. Figure I would end up somewhere between 26~28' bumper to bumper. It drives my wife and friends crazy, but from all my OTR experience my cc dually feels as manuverable as a sports car...unless I am pulling a trailer longer then around 22' I got no issue going to the front of the wally world parking lot and looking for a space.

Its funny...about a week ago the guys were making fun of me cuz I was having trouble backing a tow dolly accross the yard, and yet I did the same stretch with a 42' trailer including a blind jacknife parking job two hours earlier first try without incident....somehow size matters and I do better with it biigger

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Its funny...about a week ago the guys were making fun of me cuz I was having trouble backing a tow dolly accross the yard, and yet I did the same stretch with a 42' trailer including a blind jacknife parking job two hours earlier first try without incident....somehow size matters and I do better with it biigger

I have to agree, I can back my 21' TT and my Dad's 23' boat, even a U-Haul style "flatbed" car hauler and put it just about anywhere. But I can not back my 4'x8' utility trailer. You end up chasing it all over and then it still does not end up where you want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online