Another 1999 with transmission problems

BamKat

Reaction score
Hello everyone! It's been a good while since I've had to ask a question. Thanks!

I have a 1999 F250 7.3 2 wheel drive.

I was parking and when I went to put the truck in park it started making a horrible grinding noise. I immediately put the truck back in gear and it stopped grinding. I can drive the truck fine and it drives just like it always has since I have owned it (2yr).

To me the he grinding noise sounds like something is spinning and will not stop. All other gears are fine. I have to tun off the truck to be able to put in park. To start it I have to put the truck in neutral.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamKat

Reaction score
Flex plate, TC. In that order

If it’s inside your transmission, time for a new one.

Thank you for your reply. I have finally had some time and I ordered a transmission jack and I dropped the transmission. Pics to follow and 1 video.

BamKat

Reaction score
I purchased a jegs transmission jack! This thing works! I paid $120 on sale directly from jegs and they shipped it to me for free and it only took 4 days! I highly recommend this jack, however the only problem with it was I had to buy my own hardware to put it together because the hardware they sent did not work.

You must be registered for see images attach

BamKat

Reaction score
Pics of the flex plate:
You must be registered for see images

Does anyone think I should remove this and inspect more? Thanks!

BamKat

Reaction score
When I spin the transmission it is making a grinding sound and very rough. It does not have any fluid it it though. This is a video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!! My next step will be to drag it from under the truck..lol

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of the flex plate:

Does anyone think I should remove this and inspect more? Thanks!

Leave it alone unless noted (leaks)

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I spin the transmission it is making a grinding sound and very rough. It does not have any fluid it it though. This is a video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!! My next step will be to drag it from under the truck..lol

Take it off the pump. Shake the sob and see if the rattle continues.

If it rattles, it’s *****. Time for a new tc. Now elevate and secure your transmission accordingly, drop the pAn. Any big chunky metal parts in the pan?

-if yes, remove the transmission cooler, order a 6.0 or a trucool 40k cooler. Blow out with air, as much as you can from hoses. This will remove al debris that can hurt your transmission (it there are any anyways).

If you can, I stay a new valve body from BTS.DIESELSITE.JW.SamWyse. and it should make your trans shift better and last longer.

New tc, new cooler, new fluid, reinstall and call it good.

—————signature—————

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If you shake the converter you will here a rattle because the clutch has no pressure.
Most likely the converter is shot. It shouldn't make that funky sound when you spin it.

BamKat

Reaction score
If you shake the converter you will here a rattle because the clutch has no pressure.
Most likely the converter is shot. It shouldn't make that funky sound when you spin it.
Thanks for the reply! I’m limited to working on my stuff only on Saturdays. Need more time like us all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamKat

Reaction score
Country boy transmission service table!

BamKat

Reaction score
Magnet does have metal shavings. All the videos I watched on YouTube, looks like normal wear.
You must be registered for see images attach

Someone put silicone on the oil pan and everything I read and watched said not to use it because it will squeeze inside trans. They are right because it did. If I clean this gasket up really good. . .Could I use it again?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Rubber gaskets are reusable. Clean it up good. If you see any nicks or damage get a new one.
After you clean up the tranny pan. Take a straight edge and check the rails at the bolt holes. If you have any waves straighten them out. This will keep your gasket from leaking.

DieselDc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not have a problem reusing that gasket. Except if someone put rtv on it, it probably leaked once before.

I’d say you’re safe for a new tc, filter and fluids. Remember what I said about the VB. Highly recommend you drop the money for a good one.

—————signature—————

Last edited:

BamKat

Reaction score
I would not have a problem reusing that gasket. Except if someone put rtv on it, it probably leaked once before.

I’d say you’re safe for a new tc, filter and fluids. Remember what I said about the VB. Highly recommend you drop the money for a good one.

—————signature—————
I was thinking the same thing about leaking before. I did what trackspeeder suggested with straight edge and it was straight. I bought a wix filter from o'realiy ($33) and it came with a rubber gasket so I used the new one.

Still need to buy the TC. Working on it today and putting the transmission back under truck and back on jack.