Alternator

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, check the accuracy of your gauge with a volt-meter.

If both agree, then either the new regulator is bad or it is not wired correctly.

cbwells

Reaction score
Had the alternator tested at 3 different parts stores all came up with it putting out over 13 volts. checked the batterys with the volt- meter with the truck running and warm almost 18 volts. Put the +wire from the meter on the large post on the alternator and the - on the engine block same reading. Put my old regulator back in same reading. Guess it wasn't bad to start with.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the parts store checked them out at over 13 volts like you say, nothing wrong then. An alternator charging will put out 14.5 VDC and some as high as 15.1 VDC.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is the truth. If you have the 18 volts like you posted then you have a bad voltage regulater. Reason I say this is thats what the alternater CAN put out if it isn't regulated. I burned up two voltage regulaters once. then the guy at the mom and pop starter alt store asked me if I was removing the battery power from the system... Nope.. Had not thought about that. He told me sometimes the system is partly powered up and then I plug in another electrical item like the voltage regulater. It surges power thru it and burns it out. So voltage regulater number three was installed but I lifted the positive cables from each battery... No more burnouts.. Porblem solved...

cbwells

Reaction score
I unhooked the wire that runs from the solenoid to the alternator peg on the regulator and still getting 12.8 volts to the batterys with that wire unhooked. I touch the wire to the post and it goes up to 17 to 18 volts I will get a new regulator.