Alternator rebuild or i'm i building a monster?

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be more specific...a monster that wont work, or worse. I was looking on Rockauto website, and they have alternator brushes, bearings, and internal voltage regulators. I always wanted a "ambulance alternator" on my rig. What I was wondering is, I currently have a 130 amp basic OE alternator. If I rebuild my alternator with "ambulance" brushes and voltage regulator, would my alternator be capable of the 165 amp output of a ambulance alternator? Or are the windings and brushes different as in to the point that the brushes won't even fit, and it would burn up my rotor and stator? Anyone ever try this?

RocketScott

Reaction score
The windings are different on higher output alternators.

The regulator just went out on my E350. I looked at the replacement as well as the brushes. I think for the money I'm just better off getting a whole new alternator from one of the big chains that has a lifetime warranty. I've heard bad things from others but my experience has been good. My '87 F150 blew the original alternator at 78k. The one I replaced it with went 118k after that. When it went I just took it back into the store and they gave me a new one. The lady about crapped a brick when I showed her the receipt from 10 years ago. Lifetime is lifetime.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The high output windings have 4 leaks to the standard windings with 3 leads. Thats about all I know about alternaors. Mine I got from ebay 8 years ago and it was supposed to be a 200 amp serpentine alternator. turns out it can make 180 amps. I'm both pleased and upset at the same time..

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well crap ....it was worth a try . At least I looked into it before I went in the hole with a bunch of parts that won't fit

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to an alternator shop, they can order larger windings (mine were still 3 terminal setups). It turns into alot of experimenting though. I did it on Delcos since I had so many, but after upgrading to larger windings I had to coat the inside of the alternator to keep it from shorting out. Then the rectifiers couldn't handle the extra amperage over a long time of pushing, the high amperage ones didn't help either. That turned into modifying the case and running an internal and external rectifier setup to split the load.

There was lots of PITA troubleshooting moments inbetween and many trips of not having an alternator. I would say its nice to buy something that has already been guinea pigged by someone else.

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
I had my 70 amp rewound at an alt shop to pump out about 92amp but it eats thru brushes... Snagged a one wire 100amp off a Volvo and had it set to push about 140... It's back in the shop due to a bad battery blowin up the diode pack but worked great till that point

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 130 amp basic OE alternator.

Isn't the stock alt only 90A? I'm fairly sure that was the case in 1992. I therefore upgraded to the 3 liter taurus 3G alternator with internal regulator, at 130A. about $67 reman on eBay. They put out more voltage at low RPM.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be right . Seems like I bought a 130 amp alternator last time though. I was just looking into upgrading

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powermaster or a Premiere power alternator are known for quality.

What is your need for increased power output? Big winches and lights can eat power but winches are not usually constant duty nor in use frequently...if they are, I'd suggest PTO vs an electric myself.

A good 3 G is adequate for most, and you can always add an additional one if you can figure out how to do it. LOL

JM2CW

Al

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.....that's a little more than I need . Cool as hell though. bet I could plug my house up to it !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online