alternate EBPV as eng brake idea..............

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Been mulling over using the EBPV as a eng brake after noticing that mine was getting wonky at the wierdest times......engaging at odd rpms regardless of eng temp etc......actually felt like CPS was going a couple times.

I have read Swamps article and his relies on using the signal from the master cyl/brake switch to activate and requires you maintain some pedal pressure.

Having a bolt action :D ;Sweet as opposed to a slush box :puke: makes the obsecene thoughts I'm having plauseable.............I THINK :eek:

My thoughts are just using a simple dash mounted on/off type switch with 2 lights....
-single light when switched on/both lights on when valve is actuated- and using the idle verify switch on the pedal assy to engage.... very similiar to a single position Jake brake style make switch - no signal from the throttle pedal---EBPV actuates.

Of course using this idea isn't practical for in town operation :D just hiway/down grades/ etc.....
The only bug is remebering to shut the switch off when idling at a stop, unless there could be some sort of rpm low limit signal :confused:
Sounds quite simple for my limited electronic mind :confused: :Sly

Any electronicalwizzbanggurus wanna sheare some input as to what if any rectifer/diodes or resistors would be nesc to make this work?

Or am I just full of it LOL :angel:

Last edited:

swh22

Reaction score
Hey GEO, how's it going down there. Sounds like a good idea you've got. I can't remember if there is a neutral switch on these trucks or not, but if there is, then you could have it require 2 signals to be on. So the truck would have to be idling and in gear for the brake to come on, that solves your problem right? I'm no electronicalwizzbangguru but a relay or two should be able to do it. Just need to figure out the signal you get from the IVS and if there is a neutral switch what signal you get from that.

Just doing the IVS switch should be pretty easy with a single relay. It's either going to be supplying power when you are on idle, or else it will be grounded when you are on idle, so wire up the opposite signal to complete the circuit on the switch side of the relay. Then run power/ground to the EBPV wire, I think the ECM grounds the signal to actuate it but I can't remember, that should be in Swamps description.

Hopefully that helps a bit :D once you figure out how you want to do it let me know and I'll see if I can help figure out the best way to wire it up. Or you can just gut it :draw that's what I ended up doing after having the brake for a while and not really using it :rolleyes:

Steve

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
YO! Steve:cheers:
How are those BDP's doing? You pulled with them yet?
Tell your pop :cheers:

I'll look a little closer using your ideas ;) and see if I can make my grey matter construct sumptin :eek: LOL

swh22

Reaction score
No pulls yet, don't worry though I'll get to a couple this summer... and hopefully I'll talk my dad into it. Almost got 'er on the dyno this weekend but I had a MAJOR oil leak I had track down and then we just missed the end of the dyno day -cuss Injectors rock, Bean I was hoping to give you a call this weekend with some dyno numbers but I blew it cookoo

Don't strain anything upstairs GEO cookoo LOL if all else fails just down a lil' Turkey, grab some wire and relays, and see what you can come up with :thumbsup:

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
That's a hell of an idea. I've been thinking of doing somethig with my EBPV too and I was looking at Swamp's idea, but I like this one better but I don't know jack about electronics. Regardless, something will be done to the valve soon.

Brian [><]

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of one two, but like some of the others dont really know a whole lot about electronics cookoo

stay safe out there
Roy :draw