Aliens have taken over my wiring 6.9 lighting issues

troutski

Reaction score
Hi there, 84 6.9 extended cab. Parked the truck a week or so ago, Started yesterday, and noticed at the beginning of the drive, the turn signals were not working in the dash.
Got home, and no brake lights, turn signals etc.
However, when I use the turn signal, the front marker lights blink?!?

Short (no pun intended) of alien abduction and rewiring, how the heck does this even happen?!? I have no idea where to start looking.

BTW, when the marker lights flash, the dash does NOT indicate the turn signals are working.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
As Farmer Rock suggests start with the fuses. Likely the cause.

Some other things to check if the fuses are good.
1) The grounds for the lights. (Might be effecting the marker lights.)
2) If you have trailer wiring at the bumper, did you damage it backing up into something? Causing a short or other issue.
3) Wiring to the stater solenoid on the fender well, where it likely pulls the power for the lights via a wire that is damaged, has a bad connector, or the connection is corroded.

Post some pics and let us know what you find.

troutski

Reaction score
Finally got back to the beast yesterday. Looked at the fuse panel and it was a bit of a horror story. I don't think I've touched it in the 12 years I've owned the truck.
Every single fuse came apart as I tried to remove them to inspect. They looked like they had break cleaner spayed on them, mostly just fragmented when trying to remove.
Replaced all the fuses after cleaning up the box with some electrical cleaner.

Almost everything works as it should. Even the annoying key in buzzer is back. What a mess.

Thanks for the advice, not sure what would make it deteriorate like that. (it was only parked for 6 years.) so it lives to fight another day.

Mark