Alcoa Valve Stems

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Hopefully a quick question: What size valve stems fit the factory Alcoa wheels?

I don't have mine in front of me right now to measure but I was hoping to order/buy some today so I can get some tires mounted this weekend.

I'll measure tonight if nobody knows ;Sweet

thanks

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking length or hole size? The hole size is the standard small 1/2" or 9/16" (don't recall exactly), pretty much nothing runs the large stem hole any more. Length should be 1 1/4"-1 1/2" or so. Make sure you get high pressure stems if using the pop-in rubber ones.
Travis..

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Just so happens I have a set sitting here in my office. The hole measures .450 diameter. A little bigger than 7/16, but probably the squeeze size for 1/2 inch rubber. I like steel stems but have not seen any in a while. Don't know if anyone makes them anymore.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a strictly tire sales and repair, they have every kind of valve stems, long, short, curved, steel, rubber and extended. No big deal.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
They're standard high pressure 100 psi valve stems...

FYI when I installed my brand new alcoa SRW wheels the valve stems alcoa installed were junk. The rubber was so dry rotted. The quality looked ****** too. The only good thing americas tire did in that whole situation was install new valve stems.

jhenegh

Reaction score
That's why I just started doing them myself. Summit has free shipping on good tires. Valve stems are $0.59 at O'Reillys. Tire changer was $40.

It's $12/tire around for a dismount/mount at a shop. Made penciling that red changer pretty easy.

Attachments

• photo 2 (6).JPG
    photo 2 (6).JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 1 (6).JPG
    photo 1 (6).JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 8

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the Harbor Freight tire changer? I have been considering it myself.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Yep. I'm planning on doing a quick tool writeup for it. I'm pleased with it so far with the 4 tires I've done.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Tires really aren't that hard to change yourself. I do almost all of my tires. Automotive, motorcycle, atv. The hardest part for me is breaking the beads loose since I just use a couple of spoons. If it's too difficult, I have a neighbor who has a worn out tire machine. I'm the only one who can use it halfway quickly.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Somewhere I've seen where people have modified them.
Yeah, tire changing yourself ain't hard, unless it has a real thick sidewall and bead.
High-lift jack makes quick work of breaking beads, or one of these
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

jhenegh

Reaction score
I never trusted myself with tire hammers.

I've changed lots of tires with using bottle jacks to break the bead and then regular ol' crowbars with no lube. I'm done with that haha

With two actual spoons and this cheapo changer I feel like I'm living high on the hog!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online