Air Intake

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think the best air intake system would be for 84 6.9 non turbo::peelout

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A forced-induction upgrade :D on a serious note, I plan on running a functional cowl hood and I'll modify my air filter housing to suck air from there, but for now I have a 4" aluminum dryer vent hose running from the air box down to the side of the radiator under the driver-side battery tray. IIRC that's how factory intake is set up on the '80s diesel, so if you got that you already have a better intake than most '87-up folks.

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya it is the stock set up running down under batt. like you say, I had it disconnected today working on powersteering pump and started truck and was just wondering if it would run better with some type of cold air intake or I thought of doing something like running a bigger hose out to fresh air.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
On my '85 F350, I removed the little "plate" that covers the air intake spot behind the grille. Seems to run a little better and no issues so far.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i just took soom flexible stove ducting and ran it down through the core support next to the radiator had to hack a little of the core support but it works great

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam and Aggie, you both have different factory setups from his '84 - what you two (and me for that matter) achieve with the dryer ducting he has as an OEM equipment. Kenneth however is onto something - that plate does kill the ram-air effect, so removing it would help airflow for sure. Be aware, however, that if you're fording some waters and get a nice and high wake in front of the truck, that water may get pushed at the inlet that plate normally covers, and you can use your imagination for the results of that. IIRC '83 trucks didn't have that plate, but for '84 or '85 Ford decided to add it cause of said water issue.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I would think a Hypermax Cowl induction would do nicely. THey push it for turbo applications, but is should provide the same benefits for an n/a engine. I know on my turbo engine the thing dropped my egts around town so far that I had to pop the hood when I got to my first stop to check to see if my probe had come loose.
I really felt that cool air as in more power ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please post a pic of this thing installed? I know how it's supposed to fit in there, but I'd love to see an actual installed setup.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Be aware, however, that if you're fording some waters and get a nice and high wake in front of the truck, that water may get pushed at the inlet that plate normally covers, and you can use your imagination for the results of that. IIRC '83 trucks didn't have that plate, but for '84 or '85 Ford decided to add it cause of said water issue.

Didn't think about that when I hit that mud hole two days ago and all the "ponds" on the roadway here in the streets yesterday. :backoff At least most of the water was thrown to the sides of the truck (and on the three emo teens walking down the street :rotflmao - I SWEAR I DIDN'T MEAN TO :angel:).

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how I did mine on the "90" IDI. I used 4" X 8' dryer vent aluminum, and didn't stretch it, that gives it a smooth inside. The outside looks like hell now, it's wrapped with sound material. At the intake, I used a 1/4" bead of RTV around the intake hole and let it harden to make a seal. Used a 4" X 3" PVC reducer, and fastened that to the intake hole with a couple of tabs. At the filter end, used a 90* to goto the filter. Filter is from Azone, has rubber adapters to fit different size tubing. Works real good.

You must be registered for see images

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Best thing you can do would be remove the plate behind the head light housing as mentioned. Remove the soup bowl and get a high flow drop in filter of your choice.

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for the info from everyone maybe i will try removing that plate, I dont plan on taking this truck mud bogging or anything I bought it to haul my camper. I did see a drop in k&n filter for it. it also has stock exhaust so hopefully I can put on an aftermarket 4 in. Again thanks for info, I have a 73 half ton with a 390 that I built from ground up, but this is my first diesel. everything is so different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online