Air Filter

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was browsing through some old threads and found mention about k & n drop in filter replacement. Seems like its not a favorite of members. When I bought my truck the previous owner had installed one. I have maintained this filter but I am open to suggestions. What should I replace it with. :dunno Should I go with and open filter type. What the best option?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
a good open element air filter to use is the NAPA 6637. you'll remove your stock air box. you'll need the filter and a 4" 45 degree exhaust pipe fitting and (2) 4" hose clamps. you will have to cut the pipe to fit. also, there is a sensor in the airbox, just zip tie it out of the way somewhere on the fenderwell and it will be fine. the filter just fits between the battery and the master cylinder.

i change my air filter once a year or so.. better air flow than the stock setup too. maybe a little more turbo noise.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
on the 02 ya just need a piece of 4" pipe about 3 1/2 inch long.
the 45 is only needed on the obs and the early 99s

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thanks for the input. I have the filter and material to install. One more question before I install. There is another plug in the side of the filter box on the fresh air side of the filter. What is done with this sensor.:dunno

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after getting material together ya all were right. It took about 10 minutes to install. Little more noise in the cab but nothing I cant tolerate.
Thanks again.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the 4" 45, 3 clamps and the napa filter and removed my factory box and k&n filter. It has a little more kick and my turbo whistle is 10fold louder!!
I never have liked a quite truck. I was hoping to get a little more mpg but I keep playing with the gas peddle to hear the whistle.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I bought the 4" 45, 3 clamps and the napa filter and removed my factory box and k&n filter. It has a little more kick and my turbo whistle is 10fold louder!!
I never have liked a quite truck. I was hoping to get a little more mpg but I keep playing with the gas peddle to hear the whistle.

You get more smiles per gallon. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin