Air Filter Hold down Bolt

dmj291

Reaction score
Hey guys... was planning on redoing my glow plug wiring & replacing glow plugs today. I went to take off the air filter assembly for better access & was only able to get the top nut off. Basically the stud holding the bottom half of the bowl into the intake is not budging. Any ideas? I don't think drilling is the right way to go seeing as its right above the intake screen.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That screwin post is probably stuck from rain water leaking past the supposedly rubber washer that usually gets lost. Then rain water leaks down the screw and into the steel to aluminum connection. Try some penetrating oil and a small pipe wrench used way down next to the manifold. Might try tapping down on the top of the screwing screw but not so hard that it ruins the top thread.

dmj291

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what it looks like... I think I will tape up the intake opening and see if i can get it out with reverse threads.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The picture doesn't work. There is a hex head nut that holds the intake screen to the intake, and the air cleaner bolt threads into it. You should be able to remove the nut with the stud together. The torque on that hold down nut is 45 ft-lb and thread locker is supposed to be used on it, so be prepared for some resistance. A six point box wrench and a hammer should get it to move.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The picture doesn't work. There is a hex head nut that holds the intake screen to the intake, and the air cleaner bolt threads into it. You should be able to remove the nut with the stud together. The torque on that hold down nut is 45 ft-lb and thread locker is supposed to be used on it, so be prepared for some resistance. A six point box wrench and a hammer should get it to move.

Woke up today and was about to post this same thread. I forgot about the center nut that holds the screen to the manifold. Use a box end wrench and take it off. Add some heat and hammer the sides with plenty of penetrating oil. Heat, hammer shocking and penetrating oil will free it up.

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
I am completely missing the stud that holds down the air cleaner, can you help me with the length and what size it is. Also you can try double nutting the end of the stud, leave a little bit of thread showing on the nut so that you can tap on the not while trying to loosen the stud out, sometimes that will help get the stud to move.