Air cooled engine oil

OutofOrder

Reaction score
I have a 1000cc air cooled motorcycle and the manual says I can oil as thin as 10w40 and as thick as 20w50. Pros and cons?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If its hot go with the 20w50. Motorcycles have a lot of ball and needle bearings in them. The thicker oil will stay on them better.
Ken

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Not knowing where you live and the climate you ride in nor how many miles are on the bottom end of the bike I can't say for sure. I will tell you that Harleys run the 20W-50 and it would probably be your best choice in the machine described in your post.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
How about aircooled VW's? What does Amsoil recommend? I know the tolerances are "looser" on the VW's, therefore, it seems that dino oil would be better. I ask because we are about to tear into my son's VW to investigate a possible spun bearing. Would like to use an oil product that has better lube characterisitics for a mildly modified 1600 VW.

Tom

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
How about aircooled VW's? What does Amsoil recommend? I know the tolerances are "looser" on the VW's, therefore, it seems that dino oil would be better. I ask because we are about to tear into my son's VW to investigate a possible spun bearing. Would like to use an oil product that has better lube characterisitics for a mildly modified 1600 VW.

Tom

What weight oil do you normally run it it? I used to run 30 in my bugs that were my first cars. Both were hopped up the last street bug I had was 1835cc dual webers and ate porches like candy. That was many years ago though. I am leaning towards a 5W-40 but want to know what weight you want.

Dane

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Dane

If memory serves me right, 5W-40 is what's in it. It's stock displacement with dual baby Dellorto's, high lift rockers (not cam), electronic module converted Bosch 009. I'm sure there's other stuff I can't remember. Just a fun car to drive, but no Porsche eater. It's in a Superbeetle that's got a completely re-done suspension with all urethane bushings, Konis, and big swaybars so it's pretty fun thru the twisties.

Tom

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Dane

If memory serves me right, 5W-40 is what's in it. It's stock displacement with dual baby Dellorto's, high lift rockers (not cam), electronic module converted Bosch 009. I'm sure there's other stuff I can't remember. Just a fun car to drive, but no Porsche eater. It's in a Superbeetle that's got a completely re-done suspension with all urethane bushings, Konis, and big swaybars so it's pretty fun thru the twisties.

Tom

I would recommend the 5W-40 european oil part number AFL comes in qts. Highly recommended for VW & Audi brands.

Dane