Air Conditioning Needs Fixed

VincentVega

Reaction score
Alright boys, I'm in need of some help. Air conditioning is a must in Alabama, and I'm currently without it. Over the winter the heater worked awesome. Like, chase you out of the truck kind of awesome. The heat started to roll around and I'm stuck with 2 at 55 AC. The air compressor clutch is not engaging, even with the paper clip jump. (unless I somehow did that wrong). I can set the truck to any of the settings for the air system, and the fan will blow air, its just permanently hot, unless its on vent-cool. Then its just warm. My truck is originally from the Cali High Desert so I'm sure I've got a leak or two, but if I can get the system up and running, I can go from there.

Thanks for the help in advance!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have pressure in the system? If not, then your AC system will never engage, because there is a pressure switch on the drier.

Do a vacuum pressure test. If it hold vacuum for a day, then you are probably ok to charge it. If the clutch doesn't engage, it's pretty easy to replace the clutch, assuming your compressor isn't siezed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

To make my AC run even colder in the summer, I installed a manual shut-off valve on my heater hose to prevent any ambient heat leakage from the heater core into the HVAC system. These beasts can really hold on to the heat.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or... just disconnect the cable to the clutch, then connect two clipleads directly to the clutch coil.One to ground and one to the positive terminal of the left hand battery that's right next to it.

If the clutch pulls in, don't leave it on for long since you may not have any refrigerant, and that carries the oil that lubes the compressor...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it came from the high desert are there any Broadway Radiator stickers on anything under the hood? How about a retrofit sticker?

VincentVega

Reaction score
So it turns out that I had a bit of a dunce moment. I tried to jump the low pressure sensor with the system set to off. If I select AC and then jump the low pressure sensor the clutch engages. So now its time to move onto finding leaks and then charging the system, correct?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soapy water squirt bottle is your friend! Pull a vacuum and start squirting and looking for bubbles

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't get bubbles with the system under vacuum... have to pressurize it with a couple of ounces of refrigerant, or even air (since you ARE going to change the dryer, right?)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most recharges come with dye so another way is look for dye around hose crimps (where metal meets rubber) the condenser and behind the compressor pulley.

Sometimes there is so much green dye that you can see it without needing a black light and glasses. Also the oil leaking with collect dirt which is another way of finding the leak without black light

I usually vacuum everything and have it sit on vacuum and watch gauges then give it some oil with dye.

If the oil coming out looks like soot you can also narrow down the culprit

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't get bubbles with the system under vacuum... have to pressurize it with a couple of ounces of refrigerant, or even air (since you ARE going to change the dryer, right?)
You're right, I said it backwards. My bad. Thanks

VincentVega

Reaction score
@DrCharles... um yes, absolutely! Actually, I have no clue whats going on inside AC systems (obviously). I just know that they're a gift from God. So I had no clue I was suppose to do that. I'll pressurized the system and look for leaks with some soap. What am I looking for with the dryer? Like location and what not.

I really appreciate all the help, guys.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soapy water squirt bottle is your friend! Pull a vacuum and start squirting and looking for bubbles

You get bubbles when the pressure inside is greater than outside. If you pull a vacuum and then apply soap it will pull the soap in not blow bubbles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle