Air clean lid modification?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I removed the three Autolite glow plugs that I put in before I belonged to this group (after only 1 year all three of them showed swollen tips, thanks for the heads up on not using Autolites). I decided to change my air filter and when I pulled the air cleaner housing lid off, I noticed that it looked like there was some type of inner ring that had been cut off and ground flush. Is this a common modification? Everything on my truck seems to have been serviced very competently (recent radiator replacement included SCAs in the coolant, good filters, IP seems to be set up properly, etc) and this is the only thing that I've seen that doesn't appear to be stock.

Any thoughts?

R. J.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R.J., Your aircleaner lid previosuly had what is normally called a soupbowl. Many owners cut this off of the lid for improved intake air flow. I did this to my own truck and I believe that it did improve some performance.

Keith

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I should have done a search before posting.

How do I delete this thread?

R. J.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some trucks had the bowl in the lid, and some had the restrictor in the base. Good move on pulling the autolites before it was too late. ;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually mine still has the deflector where the ducting comes into the housing. Do most folks remove that as well?

Thanks again

R. J.

sign_man

Reaction score
The only thing worth removing is the restrictor in the base that choked down the size of the hole. FWIW on the other forum a member dyno tested a breather that did not have the restrictor plate, but did have the infamous soup bowl. Dyno results with the breather on and the breather completely removed showed identical results. YMMV

7.3shrk

I removed the deflector, and it seemed to help - just slightly, I would not expect major improvements, but I just bent it back and forth a few times and it popped right off. 30 second mod.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Pretty certain I know what it is....I just havent opened the air intake other than to peak at the filter to ensure it was clean....

Thanks

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soup Bowl and bottom resictor

It is my understanding that depending on the EPA requirements at the time of manufacture some of the air cleaners came with the soup bowl in the top of the air cleaner and the bottom had a larger diameter and the other combination that was mostly in the vans was no soup bowl and a restricted opening in the bottom of the air cleaner.
You might just try going to a wrecking yard and see what is available. I have seen both set ups in the yards around my area.
Good luck, Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Members online