Air bags on the front?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I know air bags have been done on the rear for various reasons. Has anybody done bags up front? Thinking about the suspension and thought it might be a nice way to tune the ride a bit. I know folks have said to go for the super duty springs on the D60 conversions but this crossed my mind as a neat possible option. Could possibly bolt on in place of the shocks?? Maybe take a leaf out to soften up the pack a little?? A cursory search doesn't show a front kit for the brick noses.

What do you think?

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be a terrible idea on ttb, as it can only be aligned for a specific ride height, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 60.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful with the removing springs, since there isn't many, the reason is you will get a bad case of spring wrap that leads to hopping in 4x4.
Granted other things can be done to eliminate the wrap but more fab work to deal with.

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why it couldn't not be done. If you went and totally replaced the leafs with bags and added radius arms it should work. But basically you would only be able to use it to adjust for different weight loads. But then most of that would be on the rear axle still. I know 91idi considered it and I even found him some "double bubble" airbags off of concrete trucks to try it. But far as I know he has not done it

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack my own thread but what makes the super duty springs better? You have length, thickness, material type, width, that effect spring rate. I've had a hard time wrapping my head around spring rate with air bags. I can see where it is somewhat tied to the pressure in the bag, but it has to be tied to the bag material, size and aspect ratio I would guess.

Good point about the axle wrap. This is primarily going to be a highway queen so I'm not terribly concerned other than stopping force. Hmm. Yeah. Just thought about that. :rolleyes:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Darrin. I'm not sure if those are for from or rear. The top part says front and the specs section says rear. Might pay to soften it up on the rear and bag it all around for when you need capacity.

Hmm...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that it should be easy enough to make work on the obs trucks ill let you know when I get mine on what needs changed.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Click on install instruction and download the book it shows how much to cut off the bottom ply so you don't end up with spring wrap.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks Racin. I'll Store that in the memory banks. That is exactly what I was thinking. Just hadn't been able to find it. That looks to be for a super duty but like you said, I don't see why it wouldn't work on an older truck. Probably would have to drill the holes in the frame and remove the shock tower. I don't know what the height difference is axle to frame on a super duty vs a brick nose, but I bet it's not that much.

Please don't forget the pics when you do yours. ;Sweet

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Okay guys, I know air bags have been done on the rear for various reasons. Has anybody done bags up front? Thinking about the suspension and thought it might be a nice way to tune the ride a bit. I know folks have said to go for the super duty springs on the D60 conversions but this crossed my mind as a neat possible option. Could possibly bolt on in place of the shocks?? Maybe take a leaf out to soften up the pack a little?? A cursory search doesn't show a front kit for the brick noses.

What do you think?

taking leafs out of a TTB front end is a big NO-NO. ever look at f350 and 250 springs? the TTB puts alot more stress on the springs. f250 springs have a much higher weight rating then f350s

the solid axle means weight is split up by both sides. on TTB it pivots from the cross member.. putting a load on each spring. the eye ball is a easy measuring tape for this one