Aftermarket radio wiring

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have aftermarket radios in both my 94 and 88 trucks, both were installed by the previous owner, and work properly. The one in my 94 is an Alpine, the one in the 88 is a Pioneer with bluetooth and usb input which I want for use with my iphone in the 94.

So I set to swap radios between the two trucks. At first I thought it would be really easy, as they both have little rectangular 16 pin plugs in the back. Unfortunately, they are extremely close but are not compatible. So here is the mess I found in the 88. Note the wires twisted together and taped with electrical tape.

You must be registered for see images attach

And the 94. Note the three wires that appear permanently tied into the harness which goes back in the dash - I can't find a plug anwhere. Also the big, round gray wire with lots of little wires in it is just cut off and was tucked back in the dash.

I want to get each radio working in each truck. I'm temped to just start cutting wires and hooking them back together but thought I'd see if there's anything obvious I'm missing. Do I just match like color to like color? The alpine radio has a diagram of what connector should be hooked to what, but the pioneer does not and I can't find one online.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes in the wires to the aftermarket radio it will say what they are right on the wire, usually green, purple, grey and white wires are speakers, blue is usually the remote wire and orange is ignition and yellow is memory and red is power, and black ground, some are different, not sure if i am correct for what you have, you could email pioneer and ask for the diagram or go to the harness in the truck and trace the wires down to see were they go if you cant get a diagram, from what i see i would just redo all the wiring, electrical tape and bud connectors are a big no for me, i only use solder and weather proof shrink tube on any electrical repair but thats just me

gandalf

Reaction score
Don't you just love custom wiring?:D:rotflmao It's even better when the person responsible is totally colorblind, and can't tell what color each wire is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WAIT WAIT STOP ALL ACTIVITY DO NOT CUT WIRES OR ANYTHING YET!!!!!!

I have aftermarket radios in both my 94 and 88 trucks, both were installed by the previous owner, and work properly. The one in my 94 is an Alpine, the one in the 88 is a Pioneer with bluetooth and usb input which I want for use with my iphone in the 94.

So I set to swap radios between the two trucks. At first I thought it would be really easy, as they both have little rectangular 16 pin plugs in the back. Unfortunately, they are extremely close but are not compatible. So here is the mess I found in the 88. Note the wires twisted together and taped with electrical tape.

And the 94. Note the three wires that appear permanently tied into the harness which goes back in the dash - I can't find a plug anwhere. Also the big, round gray wire with lots of little wires in it is just cut off and was tucked back in the dash.

I want to get each radio working in each truck. I'm temped to just start cutting wires and hooking them back together but thought I'd see if there's anything obvious I'm missing. Do I just match like color to like color? The alpine radio has a diagram of what connector should be hooked to what, but the pioneer does not and I can't find one online.

Now it appears to me, from my experience someone has actually taken the PROPER approach here.

The pictures are showing to me a ( AFTERMARKET RADIO harness and STOCK HARNESS adapter wired together. This is the best method. You should be able to remove the harness for each radtio from each truck and take that whole setup and plug it back into the other truck without a single wire being cut.

There should be two long plugs in the dash that the stock radio could connect too in the first picture you can see the adapter on the wires that's perfect.

In the BOTTOM image you can see the stock adapter plugin too, just to the right of your lil finger!

The other wires going into the dash should also go to a similar connector likely GREY in colour. If so disconnect it and pull that harness out, keep it with that trucks radio, do the same with the other truck and swap radios...voila

DONE LIKE DINNER...

DON"T CUT WIRES I need to see more info...pics in the holes where decks go...

JM2CW

Al

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The only wires you need to cut are the power/ground wires. The Red, Yellow and Black wires on the 94 are hard wired to the truck, and need to get to the new harness off the 88. It looks like the harness for the 88 is using the correct adapter harness. They should have one plug for speakers, and another for power. The 94 harness seems to be missing the power adapter harness.

Just clean up the poor connections on the 88 harness, then mark the power leads on the truck with the harness color code (red, yellow,black), cut the black, red, and yellow wires off the 94 harness and connect the leads from the truck, to the corresponding black, yellow, and red leads on the 88 harness. plug it in and enjoy.

FYI- Red is switched power, Yellow is constant power, Black is ground.

Last edited:

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WAIT WAIT STOP ALL ACTIVITY DO NOT CUT WIRES OR ANYTHING YET!!!!!!

Now it appears to me, from my experience someone has actually taken the PROPER approach here.

The pictures are showing to me a ( AFTERMARKET RADIO harness and STOCK HARNESS adapter wired together. This is the best method. You should be able to remove the harness for each radtio from each truck and take that whole setup and plug it back into the other truck without a single wire being cut.

There should be two long plugs in the dash that the stock radio could connect too in the first picture you can see the adapter on the wires that's perfect.

In the BOTTOM image you can see the stock adapter plugin too, just to the right of your lil finger!

The other wires going into the dash should also go to a similar connector likely GREY in colour. If so disconnect it and pull that harness out, keep it with that trucks radio, do the same with the other truck and swap radios...voila

DONE LIKE DINNER...

DON"T CUT WIRES I need to see more info...pics in the holes where decks go...

JM2CW

Al

I appreciate the input. Unfortunately the 88 and 94 connections are different. The 88 has two long plug things, one with 6 and one with 8 pins. The 94 has a single one, with 12 I think, plus the extra three that are hardwired into the harness.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. Unfortunately the 88 and 94 connections are different. The 88 has two long plug things, one with 6 and one with 8 pins. The 94 has a single one, with 12 I think, plus the extra three that are hardwired into the harness.

If you look at the ADAPTERS, they usually say on the wires what the wire is for, on you deck is usually a diagram indicating what those wires are for and you can cut connect those adapters correspondingly to the correct decks properly then.

PM me for details,

Or go to walmart n buy two new adapter kits, take em open em...and then use the instructions, and return em when done or use them...yer choice...

Just some suggestions..

Al

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the big wire is factory, it looks like it might be a CD changer connector cable. I have seen even a reg cab truck with a factory 6 disc changer mounted to the back wall of the cab behind the drivers seat. If it is a factory changer control cable, it is basically useless with the end cut off.

As stated above, the correct wiring harness adapters are available and inexpensive and the best route to fixing your issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online