Aftermarket overdrive/gear splitter questions

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I loacte one in good shape with the drive line parts for around $700, that is a good deal?

In my opinion, yes. Others, maybe not.

Example, my GV I put on my C6 cost me about$2100 off of Ebay and it was "rebuilt" from GV (dealer selling it). It was complete for my install. I had the local GV dealer install it and he charged me $500 (I prob. was taken, but I wasn't going to risk the factory warranty and my mechanic friend was on vacation when I wanted it done)..... I can say this, if that truck ever 'dies', I'm taking the C6 out of it and finding another truck to put the whole thing into....

You have seen the list price for the US Gear and the GV units. Go to Ebay and type in 'Gear Vendors' or US Gear and see what pops up.

Reaction score
I was going to start my ebay search once I have a little more information. I am still not real sure about buying one from any one else other than a dealer.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to start my ebay search once I have a little more information. I am still not real sure about buying one from any one else other than a dealer.

And you have the right to be leary. I was fortunate that the person who was selling on Ebay happened to be a dealer who had some in stock and wanted to get rid of some.

It's just a matter of cost I would say now. If you find someone local who has an identical vehicle, tire size, tranny and ratio... you would be made. Sometimes piecing one together may or may not work.... especially if you HAD to contact the factory/dealer for something, sometimes they are not helpful (get that attitude if you didn't buy it from us NEW mood).

Next question is, do you have a dealer near you? Assuming you want to have the dealer install it. Most decent tranny shops can install either a GV or US Gear unit. I could have done it.... but I have never done trannies before but the speedo adapter wiring and controls is electrical- that I could do.

I have a GV and I would recommend it- especially if you have an auto. Would the US Gear work on an auto, absolutely. If it were a stick, for some reason, I'd say US Gear. You end up putting the 'switch' on the shifter like the two speed axles..... and shift just like a two speed axle.

So, how much do you want to spend and where is the nearest dealer? And/or shop that has installed one....

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a US gear in my truck and really like it. It goes between the transmission and transfer case. So you can split gears in 4x4. Not that you really need to, but you can. I use it all the time to turn my 4-speed manual into a 6 speed.

I bought mine rebuilt from a place in california called Rose auto clinic. I don't have their number any more. It cost me 1200 shipped to my door. I then had to install it and have my drive shafts reworked.

I typically pull the switch to shift it and then when I'm ready to shift I press the clutch slightly and it goes into gear. It's really smooth once you get used to it. New people shifting it typically bang gears a lot.

Thanks,
Jeremy

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking US Gear version would be better for a standard transmission. I like the price better as well.

Yup, if you have a stick, the US Gear is the way to go. Just like having a two speed rear axle truck, so I have been told.

I Googled that Rose Auto Clinic (also including 'California' in the search term) and they have a web site. Looks like a full service auto shop that deals w/ a lot of stuff. Maybe they're a GV dealer/rebuilder.....

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Hey Lonesome, just wanted to inform you that in the next few weeks, I am going to be getting rid of my Doug Nash Engineering (Pre-US Gear) Underdrive for a 2wd T-18/T-19 transmission. If you have a higher rear end gear in you truck, this would give you back some low end grunt, and the 2 - 3 split is really great too.

I plan on making a post in the marketplace when I get ready to sell, but I figured since you are actively pursuing a gear splitter, I would give you a heads up. If you want to look at some pics, there are several in my webshots link in my sig.