Aftermarket core supports

BRShirk

Reaction score
Has anyone used a core support from eBay for a 7.3IDI?

The pix don't look like they have the deep drop for the tall radiator but the listing says only to be used with 16"x36" radiators.

Or should I just pay the extra and get it from LMC Truck?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 36 wide cores are the wide short radiators, they cost more and you can't fit a intercooler around them and radiators are tougher to find. I changed my core support out from wide to narrow but I got mine from salvage yard no rust or cracks for 35$

BRShirk

Reaction score
That's good to know.

Mine is cracked but they reinforced the cracks with angle steel. If that was the only issue I could work with it, but the lower loop is cracked and where the inner fender bolts on is shot also.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has two six-inch pieces of angle iron welded on the top, too... figured it'd been in an accident until I saw the pics of core supports that crack right there. Looked underneath and sure enough that was the problem. It seems to be holding up so I'm not going to tear the front clip apart to replace it :)

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new core support with smaller bottom "hoop", then removed and replaced with my old larger bottom hoop. It was fairly easy.
You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new core support with smaller bottom "hoop", then removed and replaced with my old larger bottom hoop. It was fairly easy.

I think that's probably the best option for many of us in the rust belt (or anywhere in canada).

I recently finished a core support replacement on a 1990 ranger and the aftermarket quality isn't horrible.