Advise needed

boatelectronicguy

Reaction score
As you may have read, I just bought an '06 2500 QC with a Cummins. This is my first diesel and I could use some operating and maintenance advise, but what I really want to know is which mods increase fuel mileage without sacrificing durability or quietness, forgive my sacreligious statement, but I'm not looking for more power or sound just to maximize mileage. Thanks -Robert

MLee

Reaction score
Robert;
To start with break it in right, moderate driving for the first 500 miles, [per American axles] before doing any major towing. Make sure all the fluids are up, differentials, trans, etc. they usually ship low and the dealer does't always fill them up. after the first 1000 miles get a good load to put on it, 6-10000lbs and work the stuffen out of it, like some good up hill pulls. Do this periodicly to help the engine loosen up. It will take 10000 miles before it starts to loosen up much and then the mileage will start to be decent. The best way for the mileage is put a 2x4 under the gas pedal, so it does't go all the way to the floor. The right foot is the best mileage getter. The overhead read out is not the most accuarate indication of mileage, just close. Hand figure the figures.
Good luck with the new ride. If you do a little reading you will find verious mods that might help a little, the black boxes are good for the power, but then you want to use them, and away goes the mileage, pay to play type of thing. Some help some don't. Warrenties don't like them.
Marv.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh, mileage. one thing the new gen cummins isnt known for.
airrade intake, performance muffler, a good high quality synthetic motor oil. thats about it, i've seen some of these get awesome mileage, others i've seen poor mileage(10-12 mpg). unchoke the intake and exhaust and youll not only get some horse, but better economy also.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
ahhh, mileage. one thing the new gen cummins isnt known for.
airrade intake, performance muffler, a good high quality synthetic motor oil. thats about it, i've seen some of these get awesome mileage, others i've seen poor mileage(10-12 mpg). unchoke the intake and exhaust and youll not only get some horse, but better economy also.

That is the thing that impressed me most about the Cummins, the more you seem to do for power, the mileage doesn't seem to suffer and often gets better! In many cases, I would assume that most of the mileage decreases come from the smile factor of nailing the throttle a good running one! :) Travis, care to elaborate? ;Sweet

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that was always true for previous cummins, this new one they got out now just plain sucks. if i could only remember how many trucks came back to the dealer and the owners wanting us to fix their truck because it got way less mileage than the older counterparts.

rubberfish

Reaction score
sle2115 said:
That is the thing that impressed me most about the Cummins, the more you seem to do for power, the mileage doesn't seem to suffer and often gets better! In many cases, I would assume that most of the mileage decreases come from the smile factor of nailing the throttle a good running one! :) Travis, care to elaborate? ;Sweet
I can vouch for that as well. :Sly
Although, mileage was the last thing on my mind. :angel:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
rubberfish said:
I can vouch for that as well. :Sly
Although, mileage was the last thing on my mind. :angel:

But a pleasant addition when wanted, like when fuel doubles in price in a week!!! :puke:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
that was always true for previous cummins, this new one they got out now just plain sucks. if i could only remember how many trucks came back to the dealer and the owners wanting us to fix their truck because it got way less mileage than the older counterparts.

Yeah, I hear that. Keep in mind, I threw down my wrenches for profit many years ago. I have really enjoyed this IDI and will someday prolly look for a newer truck, will keep the IDI though for what I intended it for, work and it does it well, not fast mind you, but well. If I could go to a dealership today and buy a new truck, I am not sure what I would even buy. At this point, a 100 mile roundtrip is starting to get expensive in my daily driver. It only gets about 25 MPG, but is 4WD and does double duty as a family car. I really would want to steer clear of the 6.0 Ford and what I am reading about the Dodge's don't have me real content either. Maybe a Toyota diesel if it ever gets out of the rumor mill and on the road! Of all the cars we worked on, Toyota's were a rarity, and they were everywhere. General maintenence and an occaisional head gasket. My proctor, a retired service manager for Ford and then a self employed mechanic bled Ford blue when I met him some 20 years ago, today he won't even look at one twice, hates em for the most part. After working on the wife's Sable (head gaskets every 80,000 - three times) and seeing how the engine cradle failed, I am not even close to sold on Ford either. Uncle's brand new truck with a rebuilt transmission (auto o/d) didn't give me much faith either as it was at the dealer 4 out of the 5 months he owned it before threatening the lemon law and buying a Nissan.

Oh well, enough rambling. Wish the Cummins would appear in something else.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
... I really would want to steer clear of the 6.0 Ford and what I am reading about the Dodge's don't have me real content either...

You can do it, SLE... Come on... The goat beckons! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Seriously, I could not be happier with my new Dodge. It seems very well made. Solid, and nary a rattle. Power to spare, and my mileage started at 17.7mpg (THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS, mind you) and has increased as I've driven the truck since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

Mike