Adjusting Fuel Screw on DB2 pumps with pics

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Step by step on how to turn up or down your fuel screw. ***DISCLAIMER*** WE DO NOT RECOMMEND ADJUSTING THIS SCREW WITHOUT THE ADDITION OF A PYROMETER! THE IH 6.9/7.3 ENGINE RUN WARM IN STOCK FORM. TURNING UP THIS SCREW CAN CAUSE ENGINE FAILURE DUE TO EXCESSIVE EGT.

Please unhook battery cables prior to starting this so there is no chance of engine turning over by accident.

first remove the oil fill or gear cover from this location.
You must be registered for see images attach

u will see this

bring the stud around till it is at the 12 oclock postition like this. use a 15/16th socket on the harmonic balancer bolt to turn over.

find the little triangle cover on the pass side of the pump and remove. dont damage the gasket. a pint or so of fuel will come out. place a rag or 2 under the pump to catch it all.you can use any rag, doesnt need to have sheep on it, just heard ron likes sheep...it will look like this

inside that hole is the adjusting screw. if the pin on the front of the engine is at 12 oclock, the screw will be visible with a mirror. will look like this.

closer veiw.

turn that screw clockwise to increase fuel. counterclock wise to decrease fuel. screw is a 5/32 allen.

Last edited:

John Deere

Reaction score
That's a great post, I had not thought of taking the filler neck off to use the dowel pin as screw locator.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice write-up. I have a feeling that lots of people will be fiddling with their IP's in the near future :sly. Good job on the pictures as well

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
One thing I feel is an overlooked point is that plate to access the alen screw must be cleaned off BEFORE you remove it. Use brakeclean and an old tooth brush but get it clean... Any dirt that gets in the cover area will ruin the pump. So cleanlyness is next to.....:sly:angel:

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice write up i just bump the sil an stick the allen in an out an takes maybe 5 trys but that looks alot easier.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice write up!

now we need a mod to change Rons name to DSLsheepcatcher :D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we implying that Ron likes mutton sandwiches/chops/BBQ................... or that Ron really, really, likes sheep?:D

Heath

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Corey :cheers:
I'm assuming that the filler neck/gear cover was originally equipped with an O ring since there's a groove. On my truck it was glued down with black RTV. Unless it's a standard size that I can source local atime the auto parts or hardware, I guess that's how it's going back on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online