Adding aftermarket temperature gauge

SLittle

Reaction score
Where have y'all put the sender? Im adding an electric temp gauge and id prefer to leave the factory gauge functional. Should I just put a tee under the factory sender?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't use a Tee! You should look for a plug into the water jacket that is bigger than 1/4 inch. That will be water jacket. Oil is 1/4 inch and water is bigger like 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the factory gauge and dummy light to work then you'll need to look at the rear of the passenger head for a plug there. Most of us pull the factory gauge and put the useful gauge sender there, leaving the dummy light intact to help alert the driver.

These heads are identical left or right, so whatever ports are on the front drivers side are also on the rear passenger side.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I installed mine in the factory sender location. Then, so I could keep the factory gauge operational, I installed the factory sender in the plug in the top of the water pump. I soldered an extension wire onto the factory wire. I cut the wire before the factory elbow and then soldered that onto the end of the extension wire so it still plugs onto the factory sender. The factory gauge still reads the same, for what little that's worth.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
On my F250, I put it into the dummy light sensor port, leaving the factory gauge in place. On my motorhome, I am going to put it into the head on the left rear (near the accelerator pedal) since it's super easy to access on a van, with the doghouse cover off.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Most of us pull the factory gauge and put the useful gauge sender there, leaving the dummy light intact to help alert the driver..

On (pre-92) vans, they put the light way down low off to the left, next to the headlight switch. The steering wheel pretty much blocks it. It's the most useless dummy light ever. The other two lights with it are glow plugs and water in fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online