AC compressor clutch locking up questions.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it's finally gotten hot enough long enough that I decided to fill / check out my AC. At first the compressor pulley wasn't moving so I started adding refrigerant. Then it started turning, then stopping, then turning, then stopping. In short order there was considerable smoke and the distinct smell of burnt clutch. Obviously the clutch is locking up.
(FULL DISCLOSURE: I know nothing about AC systems)
The compressor itself looks newer than everything else to the point of think it was replaced fairly recently by a PO, but I don't know that for sure.
Anyways, what are my options?

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 7.3L PSD 4wd ZF5/ Luk SMF, Dana 50/ Man Lockout, Strictly Diesel Oil Dipstick Adapter, stock.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They should cycle like that.
I would let it keep going for a bit just keep a close eye on it.
If it's just the clutch, replace only the clutch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gauges could help.
Short cycling could be low ref. are the oils and ref.Compatible?
There are some good ac Threads here.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried the refrigerant again and the clutch is definitely locking up, but it's not locking up the pulley or harming the belt. I would definitely expect the oil is low and I've no idea if the refrig/ oil are compatible. I've no idea what is in it or what was in it.
It definitely started low on refrig. I am using AC Pro. It may be the bearings for the clutch as well. At this point I expect the clutch is burned up and the compressor could be bad as well. It did appear to be blowing cool air for the short time before I had to shut it down.
Any thoughts on just replacing the clutch vs getting a whole compressor/ clutch assembly?