Ac compressor blew Black Death some pics

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
so my trucks air was working perfectly and then all the sudden warm air. Well I troubleshooter it and found the compressor self destructed. Can't blame it with 350k miles! Anyways to anyone with this issue make sure you pre order a compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube.

What I did was removed the evaporator core and flushed it thoroughly with brake cleaner, same with the lines I'd blow the cleaner in and use compressed air to blow it out the other end. Only do this after you removed the accumulator!
After that was done in order to save my new compressor just in case I ordered an online filter kit for the fs10 compressor in case any gunk was left behind. Glad I did as after the first full it caught some debris. I filled and emptied the system three times until my orifice tune came out with no more junk in it.
In order to be comparable I installed the new compressor, orifice tube, accumulator and ran ester oil to help with the update. Once all bolted together I made an adapter to fill the system from propane. Long story short the system is blowing now colder than ever and am so happy with the results! If you have any questions feel free to ask

The pic of the red orifice tube is the second time I ran it. After that washout it came out clean the next time! And that aluminum filter caught a few big chunks! Cheap insurance for an expensive compressor

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Once all bolted together I made an adapter to fill the system from propane.

you are gonna ***** your system FYI
Straight propane gets too cold
you need a lighter hydrocarbon in the mix, 35-45% is ideal
purge it and fill with R209 - 60/40 propane/isobutane

also, if your pump was made for r12, this is a good option, if you have a r134 pump, say bye-bye to your seals in short order

BTDT

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are gonna ***** your system FYI
Straight propane gets too cold
you need a lighter hydrocarbon in the mix, 35-45% is ideal
purge it and fill with R209 - 60/40 propane/isobutane
If it gets too cold, just install a 32F thermostat on the evaporator, connected in line with the low-pressure cut off. As soon as it gets too cold, it'll kick the compressor off and let things thaw out.

Simple, cheap and effective.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up but it's working great, I did pick up a can rapper today so I can make a isobutane mix and it will be re filled with that once done.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it gets too cold, just install a 32F thermostat on the evaporator, connected in line with the low-pressure cut off. As soon as it gets too cold, it'll kick the compressor off and let things thaw out.

Simple, cheap and effective.
Good idea, thanks. Last night I evacuated the system completely took it down to vacuumed and installed my refrigerant mix, the bernzomatic butane is actually isobutane so I made a 70/30 blend of that and pure propane. I noticed the hi side pressure drops by quite a bit just like stated and it's working great.

Also for anyone interested I noticed since the propane is so efficient I am running the larger blue orifice tube. When I had the red installed it caused a pretty hi head pressure, I think because the red is smaller and the propane can flow better through the larger blue tube.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7