A word about dieselkleen

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my coworkers father leaves the doors open on all his farm trucks for the same reason. Apparently it does help.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no reason not to run 2 cycle in the winter, assuming you add anti-gel just like you would with straight diesel.

Rock

I made up some additive 'shots' with about 10 oz of power service anti-gel and 8 oz. of outboard oil. I used some 1/2 liter Dr. Pepper bottles, the shape of them seems made for this kind of thing. I haven't had to fill fuel lately as I've been away from home, but hoping to try them out in the next day or two. When I've filled in the past, it's been 16-17 gallons. I plan to use one bottle per tank. I'll report back how they work. The next week should be a good test of the anti-gel anyway as we are supposed to get some cold weather. It's been quite warm for us so far this winter.

KevSrFord

Reaction score
I operate my truck on used motor oil (60% oil/40% diesel in winter and 80% oil/20% diesel summer) and always add dieselkleen in my blend just cause I feel I should even though I filter everything down to 2 microns before it ever goes into my truck tank. I still save tons of money with my operation and since I got my setup all going smoothly I really don't have to put much time into it. I just turn pumps on and let everything run through the filters and to my storage tanks.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always use dieselkleen.

Last fill up, I put in a pint of 2 cycle oil. After about 3 miles, it started running quieter and smoother.

Hate to think what I was doing to the IP and engine without it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I always use dieselkleen.

Last fill up, I put in a pint of 2 cycle oil. After about 3 miles, it started running quieter and smoother.

Hate to think what I was doing to the IP and engine without it.

I once put in lucas oil stabilizer in my higher oil consumption f250. It got WAY quieter just at idle once it got picked up and ran through the system. It was put in between changes when it was a quart of more low. I realize it has nothing to do with IP/injectors on IDIs, but that stuff will quiet the engine down a lot if that's what you want/need.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell the difference with the oil/PS anti-gel mixture vs. just the anti-gel. It’s definitely less rattley, especially when cold. I think I’m going to stick with this mixture for the winter and then just use the oil in the summer. I used the truck this morning at -15F with no issues and will try tomorrow morning as well. Supposed to be -20s.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered this morning it doesn’t work at -22 without the block heater! I must not have plugged it in all the way; when I plugged it back in it was using 1kW as it should. Got a few little pops out the tailpipe but gave up and took the minivan instead. Curious, is there an acceptable way to start when it’s this cold without external assistance? Or is the truck saying FU it’s too cold, go back inside!!

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Discovered this morning it doesn’t work at -22 without the block heater! I must not have plugged it in all the way; when I plugged it back in it was using 1kW as it should. Got a few little pops out the tailpipe but gave up and took the minivan instead. Curious, is there an acceptable way to start when it’s this cold without external assistance? Or is the truck saying FU it’s too cold, go back inside!!
At that temperature without being plugged in, you would need to have 5w oil in the engine, and probably triple cycle the GPs and giving throttle while cranking. Keep in mind, all that is useless if the batteries and starter aren't %100 and no matter what you do, without a block heater it is very ******* the engine.

Rock

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At -5 the other day I gave it 10 seconds on the plugs, let it rest for 5 then cycle for 3, off 3, on 3, then tap the throttle to engage high idle and she turns right over.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Or is the truck saying FU it’s too cold, go back inside!!
I don't know about my truck, but that's what I'd be saying at that temperature.

At that temperature without being plugged in, you would need to have 5w oil in the engine, and probably triple cycle the GPs and giving throttle while cranking. Keep in mind, all that is useless if the batteries and starter aren't %100 and no matter what you do, without a block heater it is very ******* the engine.

Rock
I completely agree with this.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rock

That’s kind of what I figured. Not worth stressing it that hard when I have other vehicles. This morning, with the block heater, it started ok. It had to crank for a little bit but took off fine. It was -20F. Next time I'm going to try cycling the glow plugs more. It's weird how fast things seem to disintegrate at these low temps. After being plugged in yesterday for about 4 hours it started right up like it was 70 out, just at high idle. But by then it was only about -10.

No gelling issues though, so that's good.

KevSrFord

Reaction score
@KevSrFord.......that oil ratio concentration you use seems awfully thick...have you ever had problems with clogged injectors?
2 years now and not a single problem with injectors. I did just have to replace my mechanical lift pump but can't say it was from the oil because it was the original pump that was 35 years old. I was never sidelined though because I have an electric pump in the system that I put there when I first got the truck that is on a toggle switch so I just flipped the switch and kept going.
I filter everything real good and here in south Carolina we don't get extremely cold so I can get by going heavy on the oil. If I lived further north I would not go as heavy.