a slight 'Lope' at startup?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
so i've been at work for 11.5 hours, i start up BB this evening to leave at about 9:30, it's about 24* F (maybe the coldest startup this year?)...

anyway, she had a slight 'lope' (for lackof a better description) every 10 seconds or so. noticeable by sound as well as a slight, quick dip on the tach.
revved to 1100 rpm's for a few seconds & when it came back to 850ish it went away.
i was pretty low on fuel (no WMO the last 2 tanks) & need to fill-up anyway, so i gave her a good dose of Howes & drove home.
all seemed fine - 2050 rpm @ 70mph, egt's normal @ 500, nothing odd on the OE idiot-gauges... idle is fine since i've been home. heck, it seemed OK at the fuel stop cookoo

what's up wit dat? anything to be worried about?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
cold start, probably got a dead glow plug or 2, that will cause dead cylinders at startup. you should hear mine, it starts on 3 or 4 lungs and the rest chime in after several seconds. puts on a smoke show too. i'm going to switch to 12 volt plugs so i cant burn em out.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I'd say its just some cold start jitters. Once you get below freezing, O'rings that were sealed can sometimes let in air. Plus, diesel just doesnt like to burn as well after a 12hr cold soak. I'd just drive and enjoy, and not worry unless it persists. thats just my .02

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
U should hear mine when it starts because i broke one gp off in the head so it lopes till it gets that cylinder hot enough to fire, I would not worry about it much

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
No worries... It's just cold out - what it sounds like to is your starting to head down the I need to do a return line kit road but I would not worry about it anytime soon - as Rob said when things get cold sometimes they just don't seal like brand new. Wait till Doggie comes back out and put his butt to work - trust me you got the time.

So no worries - just wait till spring and trade her off on a goat :rotflmao

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
argve said:
Wait till Doggie comes back out and put his butt to work - trust me you got the time.

So no worries - just wait till spring and trade her off on a goat :rotflmao

:eek: :moon: :

Frank you have replaced the return lines when ya did the injectors correct, which was how many miles back?

Got to agree with every one else on the cold weather start. If'n I could find away, i would post a sound file off the Palm Pilot of what Goldie sounds like on startup. :puke: ;Sweet
Least ya got the starter replaced before it got cool there. :rolleyes:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank, It's asking an awful lot to have a completely smooth startup in these temps, if you ask me. Of course, you know your truck better than anybody, but not even the Moose Truck purrs when it's this cold. As long as the idle smooths out as it comes up to temp, I'd say your truck is only human. ;p

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
my truck use to have the big cam romps before I changed the gp's now it will start and run smooth even the other day when it was only in the teens

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Mine clangs and bangs like mad when it's real cold and no way to plug in. Once it warms up it sounds like normal. I have all new plugs as of Oct. '04 and even this summer I noticed a bit of a lope or miss at start up. I thought since the injectors and IP are supposed to be original that maybe I had a stuck injector. Well on our trip to Montana this summer I loaded up on the Power Service Diesel Klean and while on our trip the lope went away at start up. I'm thinking perhaps I had some carbon build up and the long drive as well as the Diesel Klean helped clean it all out. I would imagine our rigs need a good long drive every now and then to keep the fuel system cleaned out plus I never add fuel without the additive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online