A Couple Questions....

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of making a ******* child out of my two 3/4 tons. I'm using the frame from an 88, the body from an 89, a 7.3L out of an 89 1 ton and a 4x4 T19 from somewhere in the 80's. Being completely new to IDI's I have some questions.

1. The 7.3L with the 4spd...will I have horrible fuel ecomomy?
2. For the exhaust, should I run a y-pipe down to a single side pipe, or could I get away with true, dual skirt blowers? Or would that totally sound like crap?
3. The 89 cab was hooked to a gas job (302), do I have to worry about the computer interfering with anything? What all adjustments will I have to make for the wiring harnesses to be compatible? I know the engine harness and the cab harness both connect with the round plug with the bolt in the center, but I'm worried about the glow plugs, guages working, etc.
4. The cab is for an XLT, how hard would it be to hook up the cruise control to the 7.3L/T19 when it originally was from a 302/ZF5?
5. What all in-cab changes will I have to make?

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
1. The 7.3L with the 4spd...will I have horrible fuel ecomomy?

do I have to worry about the computer interfering with anything?

Most here get 15-20 mpg

I am far from an expert, but an IDI does not use a computer, the gasser puter can issue orders all day long, the IDI is not going to listen to it. As far as I know the gasser puter only controls the engine, even the cruise control has it own brain box.

Last edited:

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
my 7.3 t-19 with 3.54 gets 15-16, what gear ratio will you have.

I'll have 3.55s.

Here's another question I have that seems to be a major issue to me. What about my fuel pump/sending units? I posted up before about putting this motor in a 77 truck, but that project fell through. Then, all I had to do was find a way to run a return line. Since the gasser was EFI, it has a return line, but the pick up line runs through the pump. If I leave the wires disconnected, would the mechanical pump suck through the electric pump? If I use the electric pump and the manual pump would it do any harm to the manual pump or IP because of too much pressure?

It's probably pretty easy to see that I have no idea about what I'm doing...:dunno

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the fuel pump out of the tank and use a piece of fuel rated hose to reach the bottom of the tank.

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Here's a couple more....

Are the gauge clusters compatible?

How do I go about wiring up the Wait to Start, Water in Fuel, etc, lights?