a/c squealing

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
ok about 2 weeks ago i started getting a bit of a squeal from the motor compartment and figured it was just one of the tensioner pulleys seeing the truck has 134,000 miles on it so i replaced the 2 on the tensioner and idler pulley on the top. this made the truck run nice but once it runs for a bit i start getting a noise back that is coming from the a/c clutch whether its on or off i tried starting it with it off and also started it when it was on same thing.. truck still blows cold with a/c on!!. when it was running i shot some pb blaster on the clutch and it quited right down but i could still hear a little grinding but nothing high pitched so i know its deff coming from the a/c clutch.. i noticed a clutch bearing in a parts list and wondered if this is the problem and maybe a simple fix for 35$. i priced out a whole new a/c clutch and if i remember right it would cost me about $130-$150.. any idea's u guys might have would be great im open to any thing seeing i have a haul coming up where im bringing some people and there pulling truck to a fair that's a little further then they are willing to take there own tow rig so they asked if i would and i would rather not have my truck sounding this way seeing there all Chevy guys

Believer45

Reaction score
A/C Compressor or clutch bearings - if it were my truck I would try the clutch assembly rather than just the bearings.

Dave / Believer45

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it sounds like you need the bearings for the ac clutch.id do as dave said and replace the clutch assembly.i dont know how good the shops around you are or if you wanna try to do it yourself but i have a shop up here in MA., if needed.what fair are you going to?i know the brockton/middleboro fair is start within a week or 2.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and good to see you over here dave,come on over to superduty diesel and join in the fun over there as well ;Sweet

Believer45

Reaction score
94f450sd said:
oh and good to see you over here dave,come on over to superduty diesel and join in the fun over there as well

Thanks, Rich. If you are talking about superdutydiesel.com, I have been there a little over a year, just don't post much.

Dave / Believer45

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
Exeter Fairgrounds June 25th 9:00am - 7:00pm
Jct. Rte. 2 and South Road
Exeter, RI​

this one is not to bad but the ones down in CT are a good ride

we run in the open class this year.. last 3 years we had a different truck in the street class came in 2nd first year out and 1st the last 2 years so decided to move on, going to have some pics of the old truck and the new truck soon

if u want to see the fairs that we will be going to click the link below
Southern New England Truck Pullers Association, Inc.

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
well 2 things happen this weekend first i took apart the a/c clutch and checked out the bearing and its cooked!! the clutch its self seems to be in great shape so I'm going to order the 30$ bearing for it.. 2nd the pulls got rained out and postponed till the next sunday its not raining witch if u have looked at the weather in the north east might be awhile..

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know about the rain,im running in the demolition drby at the fair up here.this friday is the first night for it.and i go riding my quad every sunday.i missed last sundaydue to a B-day party and missed yesterday cuz of rain -cuss -cuss

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
OK so i got the bearing can any one tell me how to go about replacing it?? i know i need to pull the front off then get a clutch puller and get the clutch off but after that i don't know how i should go about replacing the bearing.. I'm sure i could figure it out but i would rather have a better understanding of doing it so i don't mess any thing up

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to get the A/C clutch puller and pull the clutch.the pully should come off with it.look at the back side of it there should be a snap ring that holds the clutch onto the bearing.you probably have to have it all pressed apart and pressed back together.

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
cool.. ya my buddy said if i got the puller he would be able to do the rest for me at his shop.. said he was going to buy the a/c puller kit but don't get enough use out of it to see buying one so he either rents or barrows i just didn't give me enough time to ask around to borrow so ill just rent one.. thanks for the info.. by the way nice trucks i like the job u did on the tow truck..

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
well i got the puller and took the clutch off and the bearing sits in the back side of it. there is 6 punch marks on the back that hold the bearing from spinning that u need to use a dremel tool or something with a small cutting wheel and remove so u can take the bearing out.. once u get that taken care of with a hammer and something that is the size of the bearing u can hammer it out but use cation here so u don't brake or warp any thing. use something under the clutch that has a hole just bigger then the bearing( i used a peace of 2x4 that i cut a hole in) i was surprised how easy this was and that i didn't need to use a press.. once i got the old bearing out i took the new one and placed it in the hole and used the old bearing with a block on top of it and slowly taped it into place. the reason i use the old bearing is because the bearing sits just under the lip of the hole. now that's how i did it but i would recommend having it pressed in because u will have less chance of the bearing not going in straight and causing problems.. now to put the clutch and new bearing back onto the compressor u might want to look into a tool that will screw into the hole the bolt that holds the out side of the clutch on and its has a big nut on it that u can use to drive the bearing back on. when i did it i didn't know about this tool until after but i was lucky and made out good. i might be doing this to a friends truck and now that i know how to do it maybe this time ill take pics and do a better write up on it

cdacaraudio

Reaction score
i did not because after looking it over i didn't see a reason for it never mind it didn't seem like it would be easy to do, also it fits in there very tight and i don't see how it could come off.. i also replaced my belt that was causing some noise.. 4 days later and all is still good..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726