A/C pump problems

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving over the weekend and began to smell a burnt brake/clutch smell. I began sniffing arounf the truck and noticed the smell was coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and saw reddish dust all over the firewall opposite the A/C pump :puke:

I am guessing the cluch mechanism locked-up and the clutch material was getting burnt off and landing inside the engine bay creating a big mess. :dunno I disconnected the power to it and it didn't seem to continue. I was told when I got the truck that the A/C was bad but I didn't realize it would begin to eat itself.

From my reading I see that I need the A/C pump to run w/ the serpentine belt configuration. I am looking at a total failure soon? Or is it just that the clutch is ate uip and no longer able to engage. I do not want to be driving this thing down the road and have to be towed. -cuss

Thanks!!

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AC unit will enguage when you turn on the defrost, keep the wire unpluged to the compressor but, the front bearing may be shot and it is gonna lock up anyway (ask me how I know).

Knowing my compressor was in the same shape as yours I turned a deaf ear for about three months, one frosty morning the truck was hard to turn over but finely started, then the belt squeeeeeeeld and poped the belt into leaving me to ride my motorcycle into work on a 15 degree morning. Might wanna go ahead and find a used compressor.

My 93 truck has a compressor off of a 2003 model car (forget which one), I just match up the rear hose hook up and found one with the serp belt notches that matched, had to drill the mount holes out a little but it has cooled great for three years now.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot, if you get a compressor off a car the pully will be bigger because of the higher rpm's of a gas motor, you will need a longer belt to mount a gaser compressor to a diesel engine, diesel engines have smaller pulleys because of lower rpm rates, but a gas engine compressor will work fine on a diesel engine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It sounds like the compressor is locked up internally. With the engine off, grab the outer part of the AC clutch and see if you can easily turn it, if it binds or has crunchies, it's toast.
Unfortunately, just replacing the compressor will have youy doing the job again in short order.
You will need to take all the fittings apart on the system and flush it thoroughly before putting a new compressor on , or the residue in the system will lock up a new compressor

If by some stroke of luck, it's just a bum clutch ( which I really doubt ) I've got one on a dead compressor you can have.
Rarely, if a clutch has been improperly installed, they can give out from riding in a partial engagement state for a long time.

------Robert

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a A/C delete pulley from LMC for 29.00

What If I purchased a AC Comp and didn't hook up the fittings, instead wrapped them up so that they wouldn't get dirt inside. This way I could piece the system together as I get the cash. Bad idea?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

What If I purchased a AC Comp and didn't hook up the fittings, instead wrapped them up so that they wouldn't get dirt inside. This way I could piece the system together as I get the cash. Bad idea?

That would work. Just don't hook up the fittings, and seal off the hose ends so they don't get excess moisture in that can cause other troubles later on.
Just leave the hoses and wire plug off and the bearing in the clutch will just roll along as normal.

When you get the cash, you'll need a qt of ac flush, a new orifice valve, new accumulator, all new orings, a can of r12 mineral oil to lube the new orings ( r134a refrigerant oils dry out orings, so don't use it to put the new orings on ) take all the hoses off, run flush through with a flush gun or one of those nice $3 HF siphon guns, and blow out thoroughly, run flush through the evaporator and condenser and blow it out THOROUGHLY ( condenser will clean out easier if you have it off the truck laying flat ) Obviously, you will need shop air for all this fun, and it takes a LONG time to get all the crud out. When a compressor locks up, it generally leaves a real mess in the system

If you get a used compressor ( not reccomended ) make sure there's no grey/black residue in the fittings.

For a new one, go to Nostalgic air parts and give them a call, he'll likely give you a number for the other part of their business that carries stock parts ( I never keep that handy because I'm usually ordering Sanden compressors from him ) but they have brand new compressors for way less than most parts stores sell repainted...ooops, I mean rebuilt compressors :angel:

--------Robert

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have an A/C pump here from a 96 you can have cheap if you want it....No good to me with the serpentine pulley on it....I also have an A/C delete pulley-bracket off a 5.0 if that could be made to work.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the system is still intact you should swap out the clutch so it will turn freely, leaving the compressor in place.

Or else install a new compressor and have the system evacuated and filled with enough refrigerant to remove the vacuum.

Once you open up the system you get moisture in there. Aluminum and water don't mix well.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try this weekend. I did notice that the iinside of the clutch kinda chattered (the part that will engage and turn) and makes a ting-ting-ting sound as the pully rotated.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to check out the truck this AM found out my 5 yr old turned on the markers, so a big jump war required. After starting I hear a horrible squeal and a plume of black smoke from the AC side of the truck. I shut off the truck jump out to investigate and see the smoke boiling off my AC pulley just as my belt drops to the ground :cry:
AC locked up big-time. I cannot complain. It got me home off of a 5 hour drive through a lonely stretch of road in rural GA. God Bless 'er :angel:

Time for a new belt and I guess I will pony up for the Ac Delete pulley to get 'er back on the road.

Thanks for ya'lls help!! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes