A/C Compressor Blowing Off Refrigerant ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frosting of the lines usually indicates a low charge. As you add refrigerant evaporator temps will rise. If you popped the safety you had high high side pressure which can be caused by the fan clutch but you have none and as I understand two electric pusher fans.Cheack radiator and condenser and the area in between for leaves ect. Also blue orfice is usually stock and if you went with red or orange they are smaller which will raise high side pressures. I assume all fans are good with no broken blades. Variable orfice tube are know for malfunctioning. I would look there.

Pull the orifice tube, if it has black crap in it you have hoses coming apart. do you have good dash airflow, evap could have crap on it.

The evaporator was exposed and thoroughly cleaned when all the rest of the stuff was replaced and I honestly don't see how any air at all got past the mess; I pulled a wet woven mat of hair, needles, and leaves about 3/4" thick from the surface before I even began cleaning.

I was getting clues that it needed cleaning, as when I turned the blower on it smelled like wet dogs, lots of big nasty wet dogs.

Of course, it could be needing it again; however, I did add a screen under the cowl that has prevented most of the trash from getting past.

The hose that goes across the top of the firewall to the compressor is the 1985 original; the others are not nearly so old; if it is indeed hose particles clogging the screen, then that one is the most likely one to be shedding them.

Some years ago, everyone was regaling the virtues of a variable orifice; so I installed one; $45 at the time; I never noticed the dramatic improvements I was led to believe I would get and soon thereafter that VOV failed and I replaced it with a plain old blue one that was still in there when I did this last system overhaul.

At which time, I decided to give the VOV one more chance; I got the one for extreme conditions; I can't remember the color.

If this VOV has indeed went haywire, I guess I would be better served to just replace it with a regular one; also, if I find it covered with black ****, I would be silly to put in another high-dollar VOV to just get clogged again before I can round up a hose.

Is there a filter I can put ahead of the orifice that can be replaced without having to evacuate the system ?

Thanks. :)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
filter, no, . I used a vov in the 4x4 and a 2 dollar red cheapie fixed from rock auto in the dually. I thought the 4x had good ac till I did up the dually , holy crap its cold. exact same system components except for the vov and the 4x has the IC in front.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Black in the orfice could mean compressor seals. Search the net for ford black death and there is tons of info on it. If this is the case you will need to flush system. replace dryer its like $20 if you open system.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part-numbers for the red and orange FIXED orifice tubes that fit these trucks ?

I have spent the last couple hours looking and have not found them yet.

The 4-Seasons number for the blue is 38621 or just 8621.

All Rock Auto is showing are the blue ones and some variable ones; they show no red or orange for my truck.

If I don't have the correct numbers when I go in the parts-store, it is uncertain what they will sell me.

Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lengthy update and diagnosis of the situation.

I will never waste money on another variable orifice, ever, for now and all time to come.

When I very gently tugged on the orifice, before I even got a squeeze on the pliers, the entire screen portion came out by itself; at this point, my heart sagged into my stomach.

I used a 4" deck-screw and managed to piece-by-piece coax the remaining pieces out; I would screw the point of the deck-screw into the broken orifice until it got a grip and then latch on the vice-grips and give it a pull; counting the top screen that came loose so easily, it came out in four pieces.

I was about half expecting the screen to be choked with black ****; but, the screen and the various pieces of the variable orifice valve were clean as a whistle.

I poured a couple ounces of PAG46 down the tube, dipped the new RED orifice in the bottle of PAG, and inserted the new orifice as deeply as it would go.

It still needed to go another inch or so; but, when I pushed just a wee bit harder, the plastic cage began to collapse.

Try as I may, that new orifice was not going any further; so, I just let the protruding end slip inside the end of the hose.

It would not go completely into the inside diameter of the hose-fitting and collapsed somewhat, sort of like an accordion.

The screen remained intact and it looked to me like it was not obstructing the flow any more by being a bit collapsed; and, seeing as I had no other alternative anyway, I tightened everything up and pulled a vacuum.

While I was watching Gunsmoke, my trusty old Harbor Freight vacuum pump pulled the system down to 25"HG.

When Gunsmoke was over, I went out and closed the valve and shut off the pump.

I went back in and watched another episode of Gunsmoke and checked the gauges; the needle was still holding steady on 25"HG.

Vacuum alone pulled in the first two 12-ounce cans of R134a.

I fired the engine, turned on the A/C, and installed the third can.

I read somewhere that my system required 44 ounces total of R134a.

However, before I connected that 4th can, I had a look at the two milk-hauler thermometers that reside in the dash vents; both were holding a steady bone-chilling 26* American; I made an executive decision and decided not to add that 4th can.

The truck had been sitting all day in direct sun.

At the time of installing the refrigerant, the ambient temperature was a pleasant, unusually un-humid 78*

The inside of the cab was 114* and you could hatch an egg in there.

Once I got the 3rd and final can installed, like I already stated, the vent temperature was 26* and there was a thick coat of frost on everything from the evaporator to the low side of the compressor.

Low side gauge reading was 12-PSI; High side was 145-PSI

Just as I was giving under the hood a quick tool check before closing the hood, I noticed that I had not yet closed the heater-core valve from last winter.

If that heater valve had been closed while I was taking my readings, I bet it would have gotten another four to six degrees colder at the dash.

When I got everything put away and the hood closed, I looked at the in-cab thermometer and it said 56*; a couple weeks ago, I would have been tickled to have had 56* in the evaporator-core housing.

So, from all indications, my refrigerant pop-off valve blowing off was due to a failed variable orifice valve.

For what it is worth, I did not replace the pop-off valve and it remains leak-free; I actually saw it blow steam at least thirty different times and untelling how many times it did so and me none the wiser.

Thanks, everyone, for your help, support, and input while I was troubleshooting and diagnosing this situation.

It may quit tomorrow, but she sure is blowing cold now; actually, better than it has ever been.

Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Your low on freon. Low should be around 40 high will be at least 250 with r134A. As you add more freon evaporator temp will rise. If you run it low on freon it gets too cold and will freeze up the evaporator

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your low on freon. Low should be around 40 high will be at least 250 with r134A. As you add more freon evaporator temp will rise. If you run it low on freon it gets too cold and will freeze up the evaporator

Thanks; if it proves to be a problem, I will add a bit more.

Right now, I am experiencing the best cooling this truck has ever had. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US