99 psd zf in my 97?

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have a question. Theres a 99 PSD 2wd that was rolled for sale. It has a zf6speed and new clutch. What would be the costs involved in putting it in my truck? and what would I have to do/buy?

BJS

Reaction score
not sure what would be involved in changing the trans from 2wd to 4wd

I've researched doing the same thing and found that from people who have done it before there are some floor clearance problems with a crossmember on some cab configurations (I don't remember exactly but believe it was only supercabs) the transfer case for the 6speed is unique to only the 6 speeds due to the input shaft spline count.

Bellhousing bolts will not be a problem you'll also need the pedal assembly from a manual truck, new PCM programming. and some wiring modifications.

Oh and I almost forgot driveshaft modifications too and 6speeds have built in coolant pump so you'd need to plumb that to your existing tranny coolers.

I came to the conclusion that after buying all of the parts required including a good SMFW, good clutch, trans, t-case, pedal assy, slave & master cyl. I'd have dollar wise equal or more than a high end E4OD rebuild.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BJS said:
not sure what would be involved in changing the trans from 2wd to 4wd
If it's anything like the ZF5, I'm not even sure it's possible to change the rear end of the tranny to accept a transfer case. I had much the same idea; wanted to get a 2WD ZF5 and change the rear end of the case (the tranny would need rebuilding anyways), but was told by quite a few people that, even with the tranny already in pieces, it's really not feasible.

Maybe the 6 speed (or even the S5-47 PSD 5 speed) is different, but IMHO you might be better off getting the tranny out of that truck and then either selling it to buy a 4WD tranny or finding someone willing to exchange. Or, pass on this tranny and wait for another opportunity.

Just my $.02 peeking out of the basement ;) Good luck!!!

Ggg

Reaction score
Try asking Brian at BTS he does quite a few transmission conversions.

BJS

Reaction score
Here
is a link to a guy who used a 2wd ZF in an early bronco and what he did to make it work. It is a pseudo divorced setup.

A divorced mount NP 205 would be another option for you to use that 2wd ZF if you decide to go that way I happen to have one I'm trying to get rid of.