97 powerstroke with major oil leak

richiebanta1

Reaction score
im looking at buying a 97,the truck was test drove by someone and sprung a pretty bad oil leak.i looked and best i could tell its on the drivers side coming out of the huge oil feed tube next to the block under the manifold.is this something that can be fixed or will i have to pull the engine?its a 4x4 extended cab xlt and since it has the oil leak ive got the guy down to 3000.it also has about 120000 miles on it.any info would be greatly appreciated

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
That "big tube" is the oil cooler. And for what it's worth, the powerstrokes weren't intercooled until '99.

I think that the oil cooler can be serviced by jacking the driver's side of the engine up, but don't quote me on that.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Another thing to check are the high pressure oil lines for the fuel injection system. They need to be changed out, I had a couple break and lost all my oil. Good thing the motor stalled out in time.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
if its under the manifold then it the oil cooler, not hard to change just gotta jack the motor up to remove it.

but double check it isnt leaking from the lpop behind the balancer, I had a few leak there and look like the oil cooler.

richiebanta1

Reaction score
alright thanks guys,i know it leaked about a quart or so but im gonna give it another look today before i buy it,it did sit for about 8 months before the guy decided to sell it,but for 3000 i can afford to put some money into it

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Check the return lines under the turbo pedistool as well! Mine was leaking a while back and it took pulling the turbo to acually find it. I lost upwards of a gallon at a drive when haulin two tons of coal or a heavy trailer!!!! The bolts that hold the return line pod on[or whatever you would call it], were backing out... so we replaced the o-ring and snuged them all back up. I went through replacing all the hpop o-rings in the system before finding these.... it sucked and I thought it would never end.

$3,000 is a steal!!! I would jump on it. Mine was $11,000 with about 210,000 on it. But it was very well taken care of in those 210k miles!

richiebanta1

Reaction score
its almost certain im gonna buy it,the leak seems to be coming off the drivers side this is why i thought it might be the oil cooler,the guy was told by a mechanic that it would cost about 1000 dollars to fix the oil leak and power steering leak so it cant be much.the guy has had it for sell for a while and is just tired of it sitting there and he wont put anymore money into it.it does have all new fuel and brake lines

richiebanta1

Reaction score
i got a closer look while the truck was running,the oil cooler tube is really rusty and is just pouring oil out of the center of the tube

sassyrel

Reaction score
i got a closer look while the truck was running,the oil cooler tube is really rusty and is just pouring oil out of the center of the tube

you see used ones on ebay quite often--the cooler off a idi looks,but aint, the same--you may be able to braze the bad spot--

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
$3,000 is a steal!!! I would jump on it. Mine was $11,000 with about 210,000 on it. But it was very well taken care of in those 210k miles!

^ +1
Mine was $16,000 with 105K back in '02. :rolleyes:
Now she's at 315K and still drives like a bat outta hades! ;Sweet

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
^ +1
Mine was $16,000 with 105K back in '02. :rolleyes:
Now she's at 315K and still drives like a bat outta hades! ;Sweet

Awesome:hail I hope mine makes it there and beyond!!! I got 260k on the ticker now, and still runnin great :peelout I love these trucks;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86