97 F350 Trans problem

rodeo clown

Reaction score
i am having problems with my truck i have a 97 f 350 cc automatic OD the OD light on the shifter is flashing and also the trucks trans is shifting hard this happins hot or cold it does it whenputting it in gear and when leaving a stop sign and it also shifts down hard at times does anybody know what this is i was told it may be the sensor on the trans

BJS

Reaction score
the OD light flashes b/c of an error in the trans

The hard shifting is a result of the computer putting the trans in what is called "limp home mode" which gives you very hard shifts.

Take the truck to a competent shop that can pull the trannycodes. Unfortunately autozoo and the free scan options won't be able to read these codes. You may end up taking it to the dealer.

If you do take it to the dealer as them to diagnose and report to you w/ error codes but DO NOT repair anything. Especially when it comes to the trans there are far better & often less expensive options than the dealer.

Yurmoma

Reaction score
Does the tranny shift into OD or will it only go to 3rd gear? Is your ABS light on too? Does your speedometer work when the tranny shifts funny? My old 97 did the same thing when I hit some road debris which bounced up under the truck and cut the wires to the VSS/ABS sensor on the rear axle. This sensor sends a speed output to the tranny telling it when to shift. Without that output the tranny goes to limp home and usually won't shift into OD. I would try replacing the sensor first, it usually runs about 20 bucks from Ford. If that doesn't work then follow the advice in the above post, and don't drive it to much, limp home mode is real ******* the trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance