95 PSD cranks, no start, no smoke

jdawg9742

Reaction score
I have a 95 7.3 PSD with 230,000 miles. I have replaced a cps(twice), batteries and a fuel filter. I have even tried running the r=truck on both tanks. The pickup will run good for 2-15 minutes than stutter and shake violently. Than it will stall out, and sometimes i can get it to fire back up but wont make it two feet and do it again. After the second time(if theres a second start) i will crank on it and it will not start. I have no smoke issues at all and ive even tried unplugging the icp sensor but still no start. I would try to drive it to autozone for them to get my codes but it wont even make it. Theres also no check engine light coming on. Please help me out im a college student and need this to get to school.

jdawg9742

Reaction score
I also checked all fuses maxifuses inluded and could find no problems there, and my wts light comes on too so i dought its a pcm

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Autozone code scanner wouldn't be any help. Won't read these trucks.
Check to see if it's filling the fuel bowl.
Definitely sounds fuel related.
Could be the tank pickups are broken off. Causing it to suck air and/or pieces of the pickups stuck in the selector valve.
Selector valves to go bad.
Disconnect the lines in front of the valve and run to a clean jug of fuel v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdawg9742

Reaction score
well its filling up the bowl but for some reason the engine dosent want to fire up right now. it cranks but thats all i can get out of it. and now when i crank it the truck is shaking worse than it ever has but still no white smoke

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Still could be the fuel pump.
Try wiggling the IPR. Common for the nut to come loose.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's the injector pressure regulator.
Look in between the HPOP and fuel bowl. Slightly to the drivers side.
It's deep in there.
You must be registered for see images attach

This pic the fuel bowl is out.

jdawg9742

Reaction score
I have plenty of oil, and while its running the oil pressure is good(according to cluster). and the ipr was a little loose but it still wont fire up. Il try it again in a few hours to move it back to my house. And while it was running two days ago it would lose rpms shake and stutter, and then stall out. But when it did it today it just died out of nowhere. I dont know whats going on, and i emptied out the fuel bowl just now, and it filled back up when i was cranking on it. So im fairly sure its getting fuel it just wont start

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The fuel pump is a two stage unit.
Low psi side could be fine, but the high could be gone.
When it acts up, what noise dose it make?
Also look into the UVCH's.

jdawg9742

Reaction score
well when it acts up it stutters and shakes pretty vionlenty like its not getting enough fuel and the whole time its doing that its not smoking out the tailpipe. And when it died today i tried a trick to get the rps up again since i was rolling at about 35 mph, i popped the clutch with 3rd gear but it didnt want to start. so i put it in neurtral and let it roll a few blocks.

jdawg9742

Reaction score
also when its running great i dont see any check engine light and i know it works because when i turn on the key all the warning lights pop up. but they all go away soon as i start it up

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it sounds real clattery, it's usually fuel issue.
See if you can get a gauge on it.
Supposedly can use a tire gauge on the test port.