95 7.3 dies when hot

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 95 F350 in the shop with 220k on it, has a recurring problem when it warms up it shuts off. It isn't overheating, ECM scan doesnt seem to solve anything. ECM changed, oil temp sensor, just about every sender on it changed, to no avail. Just heard it has been at another shop a few times for the same thing, they never could fix it either. Eventually it will clear up and go back to work for a few months. None of our techs have had any luck yet. I'm not a tech, but I've been watching them pull their hair out thinking this is the place to find out. Any body had this problem?

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the CPS was the first thing changed. We see that all the time on the Internationals. I'm starting to think its a bad wire to the ECM, something that has some corrosion in it and after the current runs thru it for a while it heats up and expands breaking the connection. It lit a code for some sort of ECM power problem, and changing the ECM didnt fix it. I'm wondering if it means power TO the ECM...

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A common code to be set is a KAM error on the PCM. Its very common if you have a programmer loaded, or have disconnected the batteries recently. Its like a P06xx something or other.

If your getting that error and there is no programmer loaded, and the bats havnt been disconnected recently, then you very well could have a bad power wire going to the computer.

BJS

Reaction score
going out on a limb here, I know that bad IPR o-rings give you hard starting problmes when the motor is hot so would relaly bad ones cause it to die when warm?

The other wild shot mechanically would be the HPOP failing and when the oil is hot it is less viscous and you don't get the pressure/volume that you need to run the engine but this should set a code though.

It does sound electrical from what you've described most mechanical problems happen all the time. But I figured I'd throw a couple ideas out there @ you.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil temp sender was actually bad, showed 235 degrees when cold, but replacing it didnt change anything. Finally they replaced something called the ICP, which fixed the problem. I forgot what ICP stands for except it has something to do with Intake, possibly pressure. They asked a guy who works for the state, and he said they change them all the time on their fleet 350 and 450s, very common part, he knew right away what it was. thanks for the input.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICP is the Injector Control Pressure sensor, and is used to instruct the IPR how much high pressure oil to direct from the HPOP to the injectors.

The ICP is the sensor you perform the "10k mod" on. This gives you about 30 more hp and 100ft/lbs of torque over a stock motor.

ICP's are NOT a high failure rate part, so Im a little concerned about the guys response of "we change them all the time". Now the CPS, *THAT* is a high failure rate part!!!!!

However, what IS common with the ICP is BAD CONNECTIONS. Its pointed up, and any water that gets under the hood can, and does collect in the cup of the sensor and screw up the connections.

This is also common if you install a 10k mod in and out all the time because your too lazy to put it on a switch (um, that would be me). It flares the connectors out a little and you get a bad connection again.