'94 IDIT runs rough, low power, nearly overheating after Moose IP

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure appreciate everyone's insight in this. It is a bummer for sure.

I spoke with a local rebuilder and he quoted around $4,500.

What are the replacement items I should insist on?

For the Utah fellas, Jim @ Bakers Diesel has been helpful and he referred me to https://www.jensenautoservice.com/ for the build.

Of course a huge shout out to Wes for all of his advice and PM's.

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s an odd failure, typically it’s the back two that are the lowest and it gets better further forward. Interesting thing about cylinder and piston wear, is even if you shatter a piston like I did, the oil control ring keeps all the metal out of the pan, on the shop trucks idit that got hurt from a nitrous backfire it broke out the top two steel ring lands, both compression rings and big chunks of the piston. All that stayed out of the pan until I pulled the heads and popped the piston out, all the pieces that had stuck between the lip of the cylinder and the bottom ring went everywhere, engine ran like that for months with the rear pistons broken and didn’t have anything on the drain plug. #7 and #8 both had zero compression.
I was running 1150-1250 egt for around 12 miles. Second gear, 25 mph at 3400 rpm. Towing 14k. No clue on engine temp. Truck ran another month before I parked it, blow by go to bad to drive.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was running 1150-1250 egt for around 12 miles. Second gear, 25 mph at 3400 rpm. Towing 14k. No clue on engine temp. Truck ran another month before I parked it, blow by go to bad to drive.

Were your pistons cracked or any hot spots on the piston skirts? May not have been an egt issue if not.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... Any details on what the root cause may have been?

No. I removed all the cooling components and hardware from the engine today. The oil is definitely silvery but I didn't have any chunks fall out of the drain hole or oil cooler. I plan on examining the oil filter later.

I think what lies under the oil pan will be telling...even the lobe that the lift pump rides on looked good.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some panning of the oil filter...

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine is stripped, aside from the rear cover, front cover and damper.

She's headed to the rebuilder tomorrow!

How do those covers pop free from the crank?

There was several ounces of metal fines in the bottom of the pan and a coiled up ring...oil control ring?

Other than that debris I could not believe how clean everything was...what a shame.