94 IDI Turbo on a 93 IDI

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Incase everyone forgot I bought a factory turbo with "most" of the parts and was seeing how things fit before I went to the trouble of tearing into my truck.
I have a 6.9 that I am useing for my test fit and ran into a problem, everything fit like it was suppose too untill I got to the castiron pipe from the exhaust manifold "up" to the turbo. where the castiron pipe bolts to the inlet side of the turbine side of the turbo there is a 5/16 in gap between the flanges, now what? Everything is bolted up right but the somewhat flat pipe is too short. I was thinking maybe making a plate to fit in the gat too take up the gap.

The heads, manifold and intake are just setting on the block, no gaskets but that should not make that much of a difference. Surly the exhaust manifold is not different is it?

Jim

Attachments

• MVC-036S-1.jpg
    MVC-036S-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 60
  • MVC-037S-2.jpg
    MVC-037S-2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 55
  • MVC-038S-3.jpg
    MVC-038S-3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 49
  • MVC-039S-4.jpg
    MVC-039S-4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 50

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have is a giant maybe. It is possible, for whatever reason the two castings that mate together forming the input pipe were more compressed on the other engine it was mounted on. That joint is a real pain to get together when all in new. At one point I considered using a torch to expand the casting allowing the lower piece to slide in. It is one tight interference fit. I'm guessing that that one joint can take care of all the differences in all the engines that it would be installed on. Honestly, I don't know if it is possible to "pull" it out to make things fit. They get very happy after they are installed awhile.
I had bought new castings from ATS on the van that I'm working on. The old castings failed and created all kind of exhaust leaks. ATS had never heard of them leaking after they were installed but I'm proof it does happen.
Hopefully someone else has had a similiar problem and share their findings and solutions. Keep us posted, if I'm fortunate enough I may be getting a older unit to mount on my '86.
Good luck,
Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS

snatchal

Reaction score
If you bought your hot new girl-friend a new dress, would you judge how it fits by having your fat ex-wife try it on?
Until you install it on the 93 you just don't know how it will fit. Aren't the casting numbers on the 6.9 manifold different than a 7.3 ?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
snatchal said:
If you bought your hot new girl-friend a new dress, would you judge how it fits by having your fat ex-wife try it on?
Until you install it on the 93 you just don't know how it will fit. Aren't the casting numbers on the 6.9 manifold different than a 7.3 ?

Is this the voice of experience? LOL

Wouldn't that be more like trying a Powerstroke part on an IDI? OK, the IDI makes a good fat wife, but damn she can cook. The hot new girlfriend will end up being a fat wife someday anyway, so you gotta love em'. :D

I'd say Jim's test is quite valid. All the parts are the same. I'm going to say that there should be a gasket between those two parts, and that once everything is bolted down that gap will be reduced to a more manageable distance. ;Sweet

RedTruck

Reaction score
PM sent. Can't seem to attach in a PM

Attachments

• MVC-036S-1.jpg
    MVC-036S-1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 91

rocketron

Reaction score
I assume you changed the studs on the manifold to ones without the hex head in the middle. If not you need to. Tighten up the bolts on the manifold and it might pull it up a bit. I had a similar problem with mine, but was able to loosen up the joint and all is good now. Also, get a new gasket for the up-pipe turbo joint (rectangle one), copper permatex will only last about 2.3 seconds the first good pull, real pain to change later (don't ask how I know!).

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no gaskets at all but given the thickness of the gaskets I cant see them making up the 5/16 gap. When I got the turbo the Y was not conected to the up pipe and I put the two together. I had thought that I would just make a spacer plate about a 1/4 in thick and see how that works.

Thanks to everone for your input.

Jim

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
if you heat up the part that slides over on the bottom and bolt it up with a gasket it should pull it up a little bit 5/16 is not much must be the diff in height between the turbo intake and ours
besides that was everything else ok
im thinking about finding a turbo from those yrs stock and putting it on my 91 thanks jeff

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jim-
sorry for not responding sooner. That cast-cuss-cuss-cussiron up pipe halves is the answer to why the turbo is not mating up. When I had to pull my motor, that part set me back a whole week when they halves didn't want to seperate. Kroil and heat was the only solution after I pulled the body on the truck. There's a good amount of material in the slip fit of the two and the top piece does "float" to make it all come together right.
good luck!(you are really gonna need it):eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online