94 E4OD not going into n or 4lo

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there some kinda trick to going into 4lo? 4hi works fine but when I go to push on the selector it won't go down:dunno. Just wondering if I am missing something here or if something is messed up. What should I look for when I do crawl under there?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get under there you will see how it works. Basically the shifter must slide down past a tang on the side of the tranny before it will move forward into 4 low. The shifter slides in a larger tube and it gets gunked up and freezes. There is usually a rubber boot visible from underneath. I have been able to free up the shifter by removing this boot and spraying pb blaster into it while pulling it up and down. I am afraid this is a temorary fix, and to do it permenantly you will need to put your lubricant down from above.
In the meantime you can push it as far as it will go from above and then pull on it from below and it will usually go to 4 low. It just gets alittle messy to crawl under the truck everytime you need low range.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't Force it!

Be careful - Mine got stiff and I put a little lovin' on it, and the cast aluminum sleeved housing snapped off and my shifter dropped and started flopping in the breeze. I knew it wasn't a big deal, till I went to Ford and bought the new part. Over $200.00! I could have fixed/modificated something, but for as little as something goes wrong with my truck, it is $ well spent. Take it off, take it apart, and lube it up nice. You will be happy with how smooth it will work.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Mine wont go into N or 4LO either, but the shifter arrangement is completely different...

Mine moves in a straight line from 2HI to 4 HI to N to 4LO

All the linkage is in working order all the way up to the T/C

I think i've got some internal problems... :rolleyes:

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine wont go into N or 4LO either, but the shifter arrangement is completely different...

Mine moves in a straight line from 2HI to 4 HI to N to 4LO

All the linkage is in working order all the way up to the T/C

I think i've got some internal problems... :rolleyes:

well if you're talking about the 86, mine doesn't like to do it either, and I haven't need 4lo yet, but to get it in I put it in 4hi move forward a bit then it goes. If you get it to go and you try to put it back and get grinding, DO NOT force it back. shut the engine off and wait a bit for everything to stop spinning then put it back into 4hi or 2hi.It may or may not work for you but that's what I had to do when I wanted to try out 4lo. And do not do 4lo on dry pavement. It will pop out of gear and you will get said grinding, ooooooh that nasty grinding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight