94 7.3 this my sounds stupid

Zbmonster

Reaction score
I have a 94 f250 7.3 and I was wanting to put gauges in it but I really don't like the apiller or over head gauge pods and there are 4 gauges I want for my truck I know our trucks can't be tuned by a programer but I have a buddy that has one and it display egts and boost and some other stuff I wanted to know if I could use one for the purpose of just gauges Thanks for the info

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. There are no provisions on the truck to hook any type of programmer up.

If you are good with computers, there are a few guys buying sending units and programming arduino with a display and basically making their own. Our trucks don't have the sending units, so that is hurdle number 1.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they use obd 2 connections and the idi is obd 1. That being said, you could probably measure egt, fuel pressure, boost, and trans temp. I say this because of what I read in their install instructions. Look at the edge website. It would cost around $600 to do. You can buy some very nice gauges for less. Look at the insight products, they are monitoring and not tuning. I have edge on my powerstroke and like it, analog gauges on my idi though.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, Having a newer truck, the CTS Type monitor will not work on the IDI's, even with additional work.

On the PSD's the engine uses sensors similar to the ones on the IDI's (Haven't looked, but wouldn't surprise me if some are the same since IH/Navistar built all of them) but, all the sensor inputs (EOT, ECT, PYRO, ICP, IPR, Boost, RPM, Volts, etc (I am sure there are some that I am forgetting) are all fed into the PCM. The PCM then uses this info the control how the engine is running, it also tells the Instrument Cluster what to display. The Instrument Cluster in the PSD trucks is just a display, the "gauges" you see don't "measure" anything, unlike the IDI's dash. The CTS Type monitors only show you what is already being measured, just not displayed on the factory dash.....

So yes, unfortunately, the easiest is to buy gauges. Or, build a monitor a mentioned above.....

Also, the only info you will get from the OBD1 port is for the E4OD transmission. No engine data is fed into a computer other than the Tach for the transmission control.....

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... and the idi is obd 1.
The IDI is OBD-nothing. There's no connection between the engine and any computer. None of the above have sensors in the IDI engine. As said in post #2, to use any selectable display, you'd have to use your own sensors and connect them to a stand-alone processor.

Recently someone started a thread on one of the forums, showing dual analog gauges with two needles/graphs in one standard 2 1/8" round dial. I forget which forum it was. Probably in the "aftermarket" or "mods" section of whichever forum, though. That would at least save on dash real estate.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The edge has the EAS (expandable accessory system) it comes with a 12v power cable that replaces the obd input to power the display. The devices I mentioned Daisey chain as edge calls it to the EAS input and the display monitors whatever senders you put on. Egt, pressure (fuel, boost) and temp (water, transmission). You do have to purchase and mount These specific sending units. As I said, it is pricey but doable. I also have the obd 1 reader that connects to the obd plug by the master cylinder under the hood on my 93 idi. It will read transmission codes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online