93 IDI Thermostat

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Is the stock thermostat on a 93 IDI a 190 degree ?

How many seals or gaskets are needed when changing the thermostat ?
(I'm thinking an 0-ring for the thermostat and gasket for the housing???)

Anyone buy a thermostat for this engine from Napa ? I know they have one but seems I read some where that folks were saying only buy one from Ford or International. :dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because if you get it from Ford or IH they don't ASK you what the temp should be, because they know. There is only ONE to get. Jim Larue professed to having good luck with one of the NAPA thermostats. Check the parts bin. For my money though, I'll go to Ford. Why worry about $20 difference on something you only replace once every 5 or 10 years. There is only 1 gasket. No O-rings.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I, on the other hand, don't run anything Ford unless I have too! I am and have been running a Stant one for the 5 years or so since I bought my truck, and another way to look at it is that Ford doesn't think you are smart enough to make a choice, so they make it for you. On the other hand, I've NEVER been asked what temp I need, they give you a 192 and if you want something different, you have to ask!

I bought a Ford one after everyone said I'd have problems with Stant, it's been in the parts cabinet for those 5 years!

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well now... There you have it... Two differant conclusions and I really need to say I know and trust both of them... Sounds funny to agree with what I have always said not to do but the facts speak for themselves. If anybody else but Scott told me a stant stat would work and continue to work fine I would have to disagree with them. Mel knows his stuff too. So how can two differant "things" be true about the same thing...:dunno:dunno I personally run the Ford stat. I test them long before I install them. They need to start to open at 192 degrees =/-5 degrees/ They are fully open at 212 degrees. Full open sleeve travel must be 0.26 inches. If a measurement is taken of a fully open stat at 212 degrees measure from under the top mounting flange to the bottom of the pill or heat sink. That should be 1.19 inches The sleeve will have traveled down 0.26 inches from the sealing body. I usually cut the rubber seal off near the top but leave the part that glued on to the stat in place. I feel I get more flow thru the stat. That rubber seal is just that. The metal to metal seal isn't good enough for a complete seal. There is a way to "adjust any thermostat if its not opening at the correct temp...:D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not all of us have a Ford Dealership like Mel does either. I'm sure the stat through my dealership would be $20 more than the +$20 Mel mentioned. The parts guy at ours, is such a jerk, I just don't go there, in fact, the one I got came from Titus-Will which is about the only dealership I deal with. I sold Stant products for years though and know they make a quality product and may well make the one Ford sells as they do make many OEM parts as well.

Something that I do on ALL thermostats I install is drill a small hole in the flange. I've done it in every thermostat I've installed in the past 20 years, which having worked in three different garages (ran one in the day, worked in two others in the evenings) that's quite a few. I come just inside the gasket/ledge area and drill a 1/16" hole. If the thermostat sits horizontally, put the hole on the top. Some already have a "jiggler" in them that allows trapped air to flow, some don't. The hole is too small to affect operation but will let trapped air bleed out. You may or may not agree with the process, but I've never had an issue and they've always worked well. It's my thought that the factory should do it anyway as it's worked so well for me.

If your not familiar with an airlocked thermostat, it's when an air bubble gets trapped under the thermostat around the element that heats and opens the stat. The air never gets hot enough to transfer enough heat to the element, therefore the stat never opens and overheat occurs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online