93 F350 (correction.... its a 95 F350)

DBogo

Reaction score
im going to go look at a 93 f350 tomorrow its either a turbo IDI or had been replaced with a powerstroke or it may be a NA are these good trucks/motors and what should i look for tomorrow just give me any advice/info you can on these beasts thanks

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Great trucks and motors as long as they've been maintained. Usual stuff like a gasser and for the motor get some Fleetguard test strips to check the coolant before you start it. You're checking for SCAs (coolant additive that prevents cavitation). I don't know how familiar you are with that.

In '93 there were two engine choices. NA 7.3 or an ATS turboed 7.3. PSDs were introduced the next year. Hopefully it's a turboed motor because those were beefed up internally to better handle the turbo.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Like mel said check the SCAs if they are not kept up u may be running a risk of cavation. How many miles on it? but there a really good motor. They will pull anything but take there time at it.

DBogo

Reaction score
well it said powerstroke and ford remanufactured motor so maybe it had a powerstroke in it is that possible or is there alot of different wireing for a stroker

DBogo

Reaction score
UPDATE it is a 95 not a 93 as the ad stated there was a misprint in the ad so it is definatly a reman powersroke so what is there to look for on these trucks

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
If it came from the factory with the PSD then it is a mid '94 or newer. If they put a Stroker in a '93 then it was retro fitted with the wiring because the PSDs are computer controlled and our IDIs only have 12V power going to them and the usual gauge senders. With a new/ newer motor take a look. A good motor lasts a good long time! Look at a '94 or newer Stroker to compare engine compartments and try to find an IDI to look at, also. I forgot to look where you're located. If any of us are close we would be more than happy to go look with you. I'm in north Idaho just east of Spokane, Washington. Let us know because we don't need much of an invitation to talk trucks or diesel! :D :thumbsup: Keep us informed how it goes and ask all the questions you want. How familiar are you with diesels? I would hate to insult your intelligence when responding. :angel:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
DBogo said:
UPDATE it is a 95 not a 93 as the ad stated there was a misprint in the ad so it is definatly a reman powersroke so what is there to look for on these trucks

:D :D We were typing at the same time. Look for the same things. The PSDs can cavitate as well. CHECK the COOLANT. Should be a good truck but see why the motor is being replaced. If it has 400K miles then the rest of the truck has a lot of wear. If it's a maintenance issue then talk to the previous owner if possible to get a feel for how the truck was taken care of. Looking at the body and interior will give you some clue there.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Take a good hard look at it with that mileage. Not too bad especially if mainly highway miles. :thumbsup: What are the specs? 4X4, 5spd, cab, etc.? I'd love to look at it with you but I'm afraid I won't have the time to make it to NY and be back to go to work Monday. LOL My old IDI only goes so fast. ;) I hope it works out. You'll probably end up in the PSD forum for the 7.3s above if you get the truck. Although, besides the motor our chasis are the same. You're always welcome in our little IDI basement regardless!

DBogo

Reaction score
well i dont think thats too many miles on it, its a auto, 4x4, XL, utility box, SRW

DBogo

Reaction score
it was a work truck a plumbers truck but for an XL its got a factory cloth seat with no rips at all and factory chrome bumper and an aftermarket visor lund i think i will let you know how it turns out heres a pic
95 F350