93 f350 7.3 idi???

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm really. That's interesting. I don't remember if the 817 did or not. Like you said memory. We did that back in 1999/2000 so I don't recall anymore. Well that would explain it then. Thanks 79jasper

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The piston squirters take up a lot of volume and so you see a lot less pressure than most diesels. Like some describe carburetors as an organized fuel leak, the squirters are an organized oil leak

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically how the main bearings are oiled on my Allis Chalmers B125 engine. Sprayers off the the cam hit a orifice on the connecting rod next to the crankshaft and is forced in through centripetal force. Not a huge fan of the design but it does seem to work fairly well as those engines do run a long time if they treated with proper maintenance and care. Love how the spell check tries to correct Allis and Cummins to Alis and Cummings. Nothing like correcting it to the incorrect.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
but I want to say CumminGs engines don't run piston squirters.
Actually they do, but they're smaller diameter than ours. The only one I pulled out (thank God!) was because of (probably) poor maintenance. One of the squirters clogged up and galled a cylinder. Since you could buy just a cylinder kit (piston and rings only) like a big truck that's what we did. Since our boss bought it with a knocking engine, he just wanted to fix it and resell it. This was in a '92 W250 4x2 and it was the WORST engine that I've ever pulled out. Even with dropping the transmission, I had to pry it out and pry it back in. The oil pan was hitting the crossmember while the valve cover was hitting the firewall. I'm not sure why our engines run such low oil pressure. That would be something to ask the designers at International.