93 f350 7.3 idi???

joe doe

Reaction score
guy is selling a 7.3 idi with 380k tranny was replaced at 280k "daily driver". "Recent work includes: new starter, new flexplate, new shifter cable, new glow plugs, new fuel filter". he wants $1800, stay away? or what questions to ask him, it would be my first diesel and I need a hand here.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats a lot of miles. if the pump and injectors haven't been replaced then its way past due.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I saw that ad on CList. Was it the crew cab with some body damage? That is quite a few miles. I bought mine with 300k and have fixed A LOT of little stuff. I would guess that truck could get expensive real fast unless you can do the work yourself. I have no idea what your budget is but it might be worth waiting for something with lower miles.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
380 is a lot of miles but ask if the engine been replaced, Ask if she Smokes, test drive up a big hill and see if she can pull it, and ask if he will take a lot less with cash in hand! The power of cash in hand has always worked for me***

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Ya, Welcome to the Oil Burners Forum and make sure you take a calculator with you because these engine need to be rebuilt about every 300,000 miles. start reading all the post in the oil burners forum and ask a lot of question because most of the problems are related to fuel problems so get to know fuel issue and timing problems well.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems pretty high for a truck with that kind of miles on it. That's 380k on the frame and all suspension components as well something else to consider. Find out what suspension parts he has changed as well. Seems like maybe a $1200 truck if the body and interior are in good shape.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of rebuilding. What is normal warm idle oil pressure for these engines? Curious if mine is normal or not. Thanks

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not exactly true.
Sure, the fuel system gets about 100k.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's true. I've seen these go 400-500k without major issues. All depends on how they were taken care of. If it looks like it's been rode hard I'd probably pass.
Did a e-test on a Cummins (I know apples and oranges) many many moons ago, all original never touched passed better than a new one and absolutely no smoke no oil consumption.

Speaking of rebuilding. What is normal warm idle oil pressure for these engines? Curious if mine is normal or not. Thanks

Hot mine is around 15-20psi. 215k untouched, and still going... Guy I worked with had a fresh rebuild and it barely registered on his gauge but he drove it 4 years like that..

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks nostrokes. Mine is running around the same. It bothers me seeing such low oil pressure but I guess as long as there is plenty of volume and everyone is seeing the same than it is typical and that's how they are designed. My dad had someone give him an old Dodge Dakota (v6 gas) for some work he did for them and the owners manual said it was "normal" for it to have close to zero oil pressure at idle. Guess I'm odd but anything less than 40 at idle bothers me.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The old rule of thumb that I was told was that you want 10PSI for every 1000RPM that your engine turns. Maybe it's accurate, maybe not. I think that the minimum oil pressure at hot idle is 10PSI. So using the above theory, even the minimum of 10PSI is plenty of oil pressure at a hot idle of 600-800 RPMs. Another thing, unless your oil reading location has been changed, it's read at the top, back of the engine. The farthest place away from your oil pump. My final thought is this. It's not so much the pressure as the volume of oil that flows through your engine. Our engines have 8 piston cooling jets that shoot out a steady stream of oil whenever the engine is running. That means that there's a HUGE volume of oil being pushed out of your oil pump to maintain 15-20 PSI at an idle at the farthest point away from the oil pump.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know how we all feel about the factory "gauge", but on all Ford Diesels 87 and newer trucks and 92 and newer vans, if the oil pressure switch sees ~7psi of oil pressure, the gauge will move to the middle of the range and turn off the ENGINE light (That light indicates LOW Oil Pressure / HIGH Coolant Temperature). Even my 03 6.0 and 07 P71 work this way. So apparently as far as Ford is concerned, if you have ~7psi of oil pressure, you are good to go.....

One exception to this is the 83-86 Trucks and through 91 in the vans. They had a pressure sender, so the needle does move with changed in oil pressure..........

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do the Cummins engines have so much higher oil pressure? My Dad has an old 220 Cummins and it idles with pretty close to 40 psi when warm and I've seen videos of 6bt's and 4bt's doing the same. Also Dad and I rebuilt an old IH DT817 and it idles with oil pressure in the same region. Of topic but if you ever feel bad about the cost of IDI parts the gasket set for the 817 was 2k and it didn't include all the seals.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW I'm not knocking the 6.9/7.3 IDI as I like both engines. I'm just curious.