93 cummins pulling truck

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
i am wanting to start building a pulling truck out of my first gen. my plans are to get a fass or a piston style lift pump, a p-pump installed, an ATS twin setup, head studs, heavyduty head gasket. thats as far as i have gotten... what else do i need todo? i am aware that it is gonna cost money, im not worried tho.. thanks

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Well you'll need to upgrade the injectors to some EDM custom sticks. You will need much fuelo to spool those turbos. You'll need an exhaust manifold like the ATS 3-piece model. Ideally you would have a better intake such as a twin-ram Banks model or one of the ATS high-ram jobs. I'd upgrade all your fuel lines to flow more fuel. The FASS is probably your best bet for supply and the P7100 needs new delivery valves and a different plate. Most pullers go for the 4" exhaust up through the hood which is probably a good idea. depending on EGTs you might need to go with a water/**** injection system. Oh and you'll need to replace teh factory intercooler with a '99-'03 7.3L 'Stroke intercooler.

Drive train you'll need to replace the trannie with a much better model. most pullers run built autos so you'll probably need to go to ATS or Suncoast for a built 46RH with a rebuilt t-case. I'd upgrade your rear axle to a D80 with an aftermarket cover. Synthetic fluids in everything.

I'm thinking you will need to go with a different setup in the rear and eliminate the 6" blocks otherwise you'll have some serious axle wrap. I think you may be required to have a drive shaft loop but I dunno. If possible, lowering the truck will be an advantage to get good drive line angles and keep the center of gravity low. You'll need a custom front bumper so that you can add weights and maybe some added ballast in the bed if the rules will allow it.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the rules for the class you want to run, build it to within the rules. Most around here would put you in the modified class with twin turbos.

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
well the class i would like to run in is the street legal class, so i dont know if water/**** is aloud or twins for that matter. but ill have to check.. i would like to keep a standard transmission, so best bet is most likely the nv4500. as for the intercooler, the powerstroke's intercooler how hard is it to put in? and how much bigger is it?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The area is only slightly larger and from all accounts it's almost a direct swap. I think the biggest problem is that you may need to trim the back of the grille a little bit in order to clear the housing. I believe it's a thicker model but the same cross sectional area. And the outlets will put it right in line with the factory Dodge hoses.

NV4500 swaps are not that difficult. One of our members here has a 1st gen that he did the swap and had good results. Mmeier is his screen name.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with the trans swap until yours dies. Everything I hear is that the 4500 isn't really any better than the Getrag, especially since it sounds like you have a good one.
Travis..