92 F350, 7.3 IDI, E4od tranny question

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a ? for IDIoit, or whoever has a good syggestion. I'm replacing my tranny, with a used one, out of a supposedly 92 Ford Ambulance. Got it installed, lastly, connecting the electrical connections, nuetral switch, ok. Got to the last connection, and plug will not go on. The electronic solenoid pack, has same shape, same pins, but my male plug is physically a tade bit bigger. Will not completely seat. I looked at my old tranny, and the female receptacle is made slightly bigger than the replacement tranny.
Any suggestions?
Thx.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some plugs are different depending on the years but.. Not a problem. you can purchase the correct plug. Changing the wires can be a real job if you loose which one fits in what location. Most trans shops will have the plug too or Ford will have it too. Best to map the wires before you remove them. Remove the battery positive cables so you have no possible issues with flash overs and burn up some wire. You can remove one wire and install it in the other plug easily. The removal of the wires from the plug can be tuff.

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thx. Problem solved. I found a old wire loom that had correct plug. R&r'd 1 wire at a time. A lot simpler than I thought it would be. Thx for the info.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the truck and the donor trans are both '92?

caution!
if your using a '95+ solenoid pack in your 89-94 (by rewiring the plug) you'll have no diode protection!

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the donor was suppose to be a 92. The wiring was all same color coded between the two. My truck is a 92.
Thx for the caution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.