92 7.3 just dont want to start

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
fresh ip, new glow plugs(wellman), fresh filter, good flow to ip, about 5 lbs fuel pressure, fresh fuel in tank. Truck will start with block heater, and runs great, black smoke. have to floor the throttle to get it to start with block heater, and then barely starts up. could it be the screen in the ip or is it the ip?
thanks for any ideas
Fred

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My question is why all the new parts... then my question is did you leave the injection pump gear cover on the engine when you changed the injection pump... hopefully you did. Is the air filter clean and no restrictions in the air path... How are you determining the new glow plugs are getting power....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
First off, have you run a compression test. Next, when attempting to start, do you have to crank and crank with your foot on the floor for a long time before it will finally fire then it will cough, or will it fire off once right off the bat with a cloud , then do nothing while you crank forever with your foot on the floor till it finally fires with big clouds of smoke. or none of the above, explain in detail.

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
have to crank and crank and it finally just barely starts up, it was running fine and strong with the new ip and let it set for a few weeks and now running like this, havnt done a compression test.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How fast is the starter spinning the engine.... If you can count the rpms then its not spinning fast enough.... The faster these diesel spin the more heat is made for proper combustion in the cylinders. Any air being slowly compressed will make very little heat. Compress it faster and it really heats up. Heat is what make diesel ignite.... Do you have a gear reduction starter and are the batteries charged up so the engine can spin fast...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
With all teh above it's sounding like air intrusion. Did you use new rubber donut seals on the fuel line going to the injection pump? How old is the return line kit on that thing?

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
have clear line just before the filter head----no bubbles. return line kit is about 3 yrs, have had the supply line off lately and the donut looks good and other seals on the line look good. could it be sucking air there?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What makes you think the glow plugs are getting power. Did you remove the injection pump gear cover to install the injection pump...

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
ive checked with a meter and they are getting 12 volts, they are getting hot to the touch, they cycle for about 10 seconds. they are wellmans, could they be no good? dont know about the gear cover, mechanic did it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd get your timing verified by a proper meter, and a person who knows how to use it. Easier said than done I know.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok... Now we are moving along... Why did you replace all these parts. Was the truck running ok before all this was done by a mechanic. What most need to know is did the truck drive to the shop and did it drive away crappy like you are posting. timing is very important too. What kind of a mechanic did this work.... there are very few mechnaics out there that know how to repair these engines.... Wellmans are not the best glow plug.... Motorcraft Beru plugs work the best. That has been proven time and time over.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
have clear line just before the filter head----no bubbles. return line kit is about 3 yrs, have had the supply line off lately and the donut looks good and other seals on the line look good. could it be sucking air there?

I don't care what the donuts look like, they almost never can be reused and seal. Those darn thingsare meant to be seated one time and discarded ( which is why some of us have eliminated that setup and changed it over to a JIC fitting ;Sweet I used to carry a bag of those darn things in my glovebox before I switched that setup. If it's letting air in there, the system could siphon down the return line easily when parked and it would be hard to start

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies. the ip was replaced by a qualified mechanic(Alan's Diesel Service, Donna, Tex), and ran good for a few months. Im going to replace the donut tomorrow and report back.
thanks
Fred

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online