'91 Yota diesel swap

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
So I've seen a few threads about swapping small diesels for MPG improvements, what about a small 4cyl diesel (Xtreme 4x4 comes to mind) that is tunable.

Current numbers are 150hp/180tq from the 3.slow v6, can that be bettered with say an Isuzu, MB, or VW turbo diesel?

Trying to think of saving weight so I'm pretty sure the Cummins engine is out...

Looking for something deefernt as well as fun to drive...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if you can find one...a 1.9L out of an canadian jetta or i thin ksome of the yota trucks had 2.2L TD...

you may want to check one of the exporters. sometimes you can purchase the whole front half of a vehicle from overseas that will give you everything you need cheaper then you can get the parts here in the states...

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having dealt with the toyota diesels, the 2L non turbo 2.4 is a good relaible engine, not so great for power though. The 2LT turbo motor is bad for cracking heads even stock, and those have to come from Japan. Newer stuff has to come from japan, and is fully electronic, so you need a front cut and a good bit of wiring prowess.
I'd go with the VW motor, even a TDI swap is doable. I'm pretty sure you'll have to go to a 4 cyl bell or trans to make the avalable aftermarket adapters work, but, that really isn't that big of a deal considering you are doing a re-power. The VW engines make more power stock, parts are much easier to get, and they can reliably make alot more power.