'90 7.3 IDI small radiator leak

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best product out there that might fix a small radiator leak in my 1990 F250 7.3 IDI. Also, will any radiator/cooling system stop leak stuff interfere with the Ford cooling system additive for cavitation?

Advice needed please,

Thanks in advance.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
a radiator shop or new radiator is your best bet. stop leak may work, but it will eventually find another hole and then another. Stop leak plugs up any small passage be that a pin hole in the radiator or heater core, or a water passage in the block that has corrosion build up. I have seen first hand the bad things that can result from the stuff and honestly wonder how it is legal to sell. Spend the coin and fix it right, then your good for another 20 years or so.

punk

DragRag

Reaction score
You can drain it, and possibly solder it in place. I have done a little of that myself with success, it will get you by better then stop leak.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to start saving for a new radiator. That's what happened to me. Mine was seeping a little bit, but more importantly I didn't like all the white build-up inside the radiator that seemed to be plugging it up. I took it to a shop and they said it was too far gone and if they dipped it to clean it up, it would have too many leaks to fix. He showed me all the white stuff built up around the outside bottom of the radiator core, were it was leaking and then sealing itself with the white corrosion build-up.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the top take separated on mine once big time mess!!! just get a new one or atleast try and find a good used one! or if u got the dough get a cusom alluminum one made!! good luck!

Black dawg

Reaction score
where is it leaking? there is a product called stic tite, works just like solder, but much easier to get to stick, and will last a long time. looks like 1/8 inch hot glue stick.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the top take separated on mine once big time mess!!! just get a new one or atleast try and find a good used one! or if u got the dough get a cusom alluminum one made!! good luck!

I got a new aluminum one off ebay a little bit cheaper than the brass one from Autozone. I wanted the aluminum rad because it was so much lighter, but it took a little research to figure out what coolant I needed to use. If you use the low silicate green coolant with the anti-cavitation stuff in it, you can't run aluminum components in the cooling system. The silicate is what protects the aluminum.

I decided to use Zerex G05 hybrid coolant. It has it all, and is only a couple dollars more per gallon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle