9 or 10 speed Trans?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be that bad. Between skipping gears and floating them without the clutch i actually think it would be better. The gear splits for pulling would be great. There are to many gaps between gears with he setup i have now.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why stop at 10?

Install a 5 speed transmission with a Spicer 6041 4-speed auxiliary transmission behind it, then you will have 20 speeds.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love shifting, my wife hates ridin with me, cause I shift alot to save my brakes, and I shift sometimes just for the heck of it. A 20 speed would put my wife in a white coat.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 3 speed brownie behind a 4 speed T18 or 19 is what I'll have one day. I have the brownie and the 4 speed is my current trans. I just need to find the time and funds to install the brownie. I fear it won't be cheap or easy.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can be done.youll need the bellhousing adapter and flywheel for 80-90's IH trucks with the 6.9/7.3 idi engines.then you can mix and match clutches,bell housings and input shafts till you find the parts you need.helps if you know somebody that is very "truck smart",they might know exactly what you need.then youll need an onboard air system for the air shifter.

if you could find all the right parts you might even be able to run one of those "automatic"trannys :sly or a nice 13 speed would be good ;Sweet;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It could easily be done , without the adapter ring the ID takes a SAE bellhousing, can't remember if it's a 2 or 3 but you can get 10 speeds in either. You would want one of the single countershaft 10 speed boxes, a twin countershaft box would have too much parisitic loss, not to mention the weight and size.
Heck 10 gears is nothing, I've got 15 and 3 reverse :D with my 5831b brownie sitting behind my zf5. More the merrier as far as I'm concerned ;Sweet When you get to pulling heavy on long nasty grades, those extra gears come in real handy

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a clearance problem with using the SAE adapter? Tried using the ranger in low range a couple times and thats probably what a 10 speed would feel like. blink and you'll miss 1st gear (no problem starting up hill though LOL) and away you go bumping through them like there's no tomorrow. Although in that case the truck was only good to about 30 MPH which was fine for the situation.

I might enjoy driving something like that but shifting that often will slow you down when empty off the line. My truck holds pace with the worst of the speeders in the fast lane when needed right now and I can leave traffic behind if needed. Having to shift that often would come in handy for heavy hauling but I need to be able to move with traffic in the expressway situations without holding some one back who is driving a newer F150 with more speed than brains. Hesitate for half a second and they WILL try to pass and cut me off on the right hand side.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
why is everyone worried about shifting that many times just because the tranny has 10 speeds doesnt mean you have to use every single one of them. I know a guy that has a kodiak to pull his big ass horse trailer and idk how many gears it has but he said that he only uses 3 when empty.

OR is this a different situation with the trans where you would have to use all of them?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
If anyone does the swap you will want to double redundant the air system since if you don't have air your stuck in high range and no way to put it in low range until you get air.Spring keeps it in high range.If your going through the work get a 13 speed.Run 1-5,then Split the high range gears.