9 or 10 speed Trans?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should probably check the adjustment on the rears of my truck. They are recent but haven't been messed with since Spring 09. I know that auto adjuster doesn't work.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
What is the factory GCVW on a say a 1993 F350 reg cab dually w 4:10s and a 5 speed?

Whatever that number is, Ford came up with it to safeguard itself from bogus warrenty issues and idiots who should never be behind the wheel. They also rate an auto to tow more than a manual.cookoo I don't buy that either. May I go out on a limb and say that we are here to learn what we can do to allow our trucks to do their jobs easier, safer and better. If you are considering a brownie or a 10 speed you should be aware that you are already exceeding any numbers that the manufacturer came up with.LOL

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
rules were made to be broken...and to some they dont apply just like that load of alfalfa that we hauled we were way over the registered weight for that truck but we were good on the trailer(registered for 20,000 lbs i believe). but we were also travelling with a signed letter from the director of the ag department for the state of texas saying that we had a weight limit of 60,000 gvwr.

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
out here in my part of the wood we all know the DOT SP and local law enforcement.... Be fixin to become a road cop also, I have never had a problem with weight at all.... hell we even drive semi trucks around here with class C standard license and noone gives a crap... im glad to live here seeing how much trouble yall have around where yall live

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people just seem to think that if they dont like somethin then they need to jam it into everyone elses head too. I like shifting also, and how can you ever have to many gears?? I have 3 trucks (OTR) 2 with 13's n 1 with an 18. I drive 1 with a 13 but most of the time drive it like a 9 spd, even pulling 80 000 lbs. Just cause the gears are there doesnt mean I gotta use em, but they are nice to have from time to time. So Diesel Brad, you like yer 4 gear tranny, then keep it, we wanna have 10 or 15 speeds, its none a yer f--kin business. Pretty simple aint it.
Now that I got that off my chest....what exactly is this SAE2 or SAE3 adapter and where could I get one? I can easily get a 9,10, or 13 spd tranny to replace my ZF5, but what all do I need to have in the way of parts, etc. to be able to hook all this up, aside from the air comp. and driveshaft deal...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The IDI is already setup for an SAE bellhousing, As it is the thing has an adapter ring on it for the ZF or whatever automotive type tranny is in use. THe engine is designed for use with heavy duty transmissions so what you would need is the SAE bellhousing, and the appropriate clutch /flywheel setup, and then it bolts right up to the tranny, then you just have to work out the linkage.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a guy wants more gears, let him have more gears. I think it would be awesome to have 10 gears to choose from. A F350 will never be a medium duty truck. The GCVW on the title dictates that. The important thing to remember about GCVW, is that if you were to wreck your truck, and they figure out you were overweight, you are liable for the whole mess. Could end up being really expensive.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
If a guy wants more gears, let him have more gears. I think it would be awesome to have 10 gears to choose from. A F350 will never be a medium duty truck. The GCVW on the title dictates that. The important thing to remember about GCVW, is that if you were to wreck your truck, and they figure out you were overweight, you are liable for the whole mess. Could end up being really expensive.

I don't think most of us would want the extra gears just to pull overweight, but to make pulling on the heavier end of the scale easier. And Hopefully with better fuel economy.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't think most of us would want the extra gears just to pull overweight, but to make pulling on the heavier end of the scale easier. And Hopefully with better fuel economy.

Bingo, Give the man a kewpie doll ;Sweet Heck there were a few places I got into on my extended 3 month trip dragging my 5er around the western US that I flat wouldn't have been able to have made it up without the Brownie ( and I talked to a guy who used to drive a heavy tow truck in Colorado and he used to have to retrieve folks with 5th wheels on those high passes all the time who would get up there and get stuck without enough oomph to make it in stock form and would have to drag them clean out to the flats ) and having the inbetween gears saves an ocean of fuel being able to keep the engine in it's best pulling range, otherwise, with just the zf on there, 4 was always screaming and 5 was always lugging, so I was constantly having to shift, with th ebrownie on there I can pop it in 4 over on most flat ground and keep it there and pick up 3+ mpg. It's a no brainer. On a recent near 7000 mile trip , I saved a fortune with the thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online